Wrist or SPG computer, that is the question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have just been offered a new suunto gecko console for $202 plus $20 shipping. No warranty, not an approved dealer. Yes buy it or not?:confused:

"bump"

Why does it seem that everyone with a console seems to let it hang down and mindlessly drags it across the reef?

A wrist-mounted device is easy to read and you aren't going to damage the reef with it.

Why does it seem that everyone with a console seems to let it hang down and mindlessly drags it across the reef?

A wrist-mounted device is easy to read and you aren't going to damage the reef with it.

I already have clips to hook on my BCs D rings to keep the hose and consoles out of the way, but also where I can get to it quickly.

I went ahead for $222 delivered it was a no brainer. I get a new depth Gage and a computer,all Suunto which has all I probably will need. Go Gekko.:D

I can not speek for everyone but the wirless transmitter is something that can fail. One dead battery and your dive is over. No way to know how much air you have. They do look cool but I'm all about the dive.

I would also save your money on the watch style mount and look into getting a bungie mount. On my Oceanic Versa Pro the mount is just like a watch band. One little pin holding it all togeather. On the bungie you have two of them that must break before you loose the computer. I like them odds!

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?category=instruments

I saw this happen once in Jupiter FL. The DM on the boat had a wireless setup, and it failed on him prior to the 2nd dive. Instead of switching setups, he dove with the wireless not working. He had no idea how much gas he had, and admitted it, and even bragged about it when he got to the surface. Not very smart. I wouldn't rely on a battery powered connection for the pressure. That is your lifeline.

As stated above, electronic SPG's are more fialure prone and wireless air integration just adds additional failure modes. Given the comparatively few times that an experienced diver really needs to check it during the dive, it offers little advantage over a plain old brass and glass SPG clipped to a d-ring.

I had several electronic SPG adn air integrated SPG failures back when I used them and mis6takenly thought they offerred anything useful. In contrast it took 25 years for me to finally have an SPG failure and the failure in this case is just an SPG that suddenly decided to read 150 psi high pretty much across the board.

I have traditionally been an SPG man, but I was reading the book Diver Down recently (all about diving accidents - very sobering read, by the way) which had a case where a DM was trying to effect a rescue of a diver who had unwisely engaged in wreck penetration and gotten stuck. After locating the stuck diver, the DM came back up, ditched his tank, grabbed another and went straight back down, only to realise that his computer was still attached to his regulator on his first tank. Story ends with DM getting paralysed from the waist down for life (idiot in wreck survives, but his girlfriend dies - sorry to ruin the plot for you).

Now to be fair, the DM had to cut his attempted deco short because in his rush to get into the water he had not put on a wetsuit and he was freezing, but still, I did think to myself - that has to a good reason for keeping it on your wrist.

I had posted this in a separate post but know one seems to be reading it as you all are on here, so here goes;
Add compass to Gekko console, top or back mount? Which does anyone prefer and why. If this isn't clear enough, one can add a regular compass from Suunto to the top front of the Console or it can be mounted on the back if you choose that model compass.

Bump bumpiti bump

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom