Wrist or SPG computer, that is the question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LCromwell

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am trying to decide about which computer to buy. At this time I do not think I will be using Nitrox. I have been looking at a basic wrist comp. called Oceanic Veo 100 Air Computer. It is about $149. I do not think I will be diving that much maybe 2 to 3 times a year, at my age 65, I have too many other things going on and limited resources to go on lots of dive trips..
Anyone have anything to say about the Oceanic basic wrist VS the SPG model? or any other wrist or SPG you would recommend keeping in mind the price range. Pro or con.
I actually feel quite safe doing it the old fashion way with my dive watch and dive tables.

Have both wrist and SPG mount. The SPG mount is nice because it is difficult to forget and lose. The wrist mount I like because you can just glance at it like a watch...and it seems natural.....
For students i say go for a spg mount...they need everything lashed to them or they seem to drop it...(including myself as a new diver)

I have the Aeris XR-1, which is a clone of the Oceanic Veo 100 (same computer, just slight cosmetic display differences).

The Aeris XR-1 / Ocenaic Veo 100 are good, basic no-frills computers that gets the job done, but if you think you may eventually use Nitrox (I don't), you may want to look elsewhere. I've been very happy with mine.

I prefer wrist over console mount.

Whatever you choose, be sure that it has user-changeable batteries. I'm fairly sure the Mares mentioned above does.

Best wishes.

Edit: The price on the Mares is actually very good. You may want to look closely at that.

i like wrist models because i can keep my hands in front of me at all times and see my depth and time at a glance

it's a lot less trouble than having to refer to your console all the time

this really helps at times when depth is critical such as on a slow ascent or safety stop

as for a model, it's hard to beat the Aeris XR1

Aeris XR1 Wrist Computer reviews and discounts, Aeris

i prefer the old Aeris Atmos I, but those are hard to find now a days

if you are going to dive Nitrox eventually, you might want to go with the Aeris XR1 Nx model

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=AerisXR-1NXWristDiveComputer

Mares makes a cheaper nitrox unit, but i am not familiar with their algorhythm:

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=MaresM2

What does 2-3 times per year mean? Dives? Days? Trips? 2-3 dives or days I wouldn't bother buying a computer, especially as you say you're happy with tables. 2-3 trips per year it's probably worth it.

I dive with one on my wrist and one in my console. Console you can't lose or forget. But I find it much more convenient to look at the one on my wrist. Most puck style computers the console and wrist models are identical, they're just mounted in something different and you can change them.

I almost always recommend buying a Nitrox computer. Even if you're not interested in Nitrox right now, if you're actually doing 2-3 trips per year there's a good chance you will get interested. And if you decide you want to sell the computer a Nitrox computer will hold it's value better than an air version.

I started with an air-integrated computer, a Suunto Cobra. I found that I really wanted to reference my depth and dive time frequently, whereas my pressure only needed to be checked at intervals. A wrist gauge gives me the ability to look at my depth without having to pull up a console, so I'm much happier that way.

The V100 is a decent computer,I have an XR-1 (identical twin). They are the toyota corolla of computers, nothing fancy but reliable. The cost is now down to $134, which is not any more than a depth gauge and watch, so it is cost effictive. I ended up passing it on to one mof my sons and upgraded to a Veo180 to get Nitrox for $199. It has worked well with 200+ dives on it with a user replaceable battery good for 60-70 dives.

I definitly prefer wrist, it is just plain easier to glance it it to check depth and status rather than grab the console. Either works fine, but I dislike heavy consoles, personal preference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom