Wrist or consoles computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I much prefer a console (uwatec smartcom is what I use). I have it clipped with a lanyard to my BC and it doesn't dangle and is at the perfect distance to read--right within my bifocal range. For some reason, particularly when wearing a drysuit, I really don't like things on my wrist and this works quite well for me.

Steve

I started using wrist-based models around 2000. I have had times that I have used console-based models and still love my wrist-based ones. I would advixe buying at least 2 batteries if you have a user-replaceable computer. I was in Fiji and had a battery die on me. I did NOT have a battery but a kind soul in our divin party happened to have the battery I needed - the local shop did not, and this battery was not even one for him. He just kept various batteries as backup for others. Alas, I immediately purchased a 5-pack and now travel with 2 at all times.

PerroneFord:
How is keeping track of a wrist computer any different than keeping track of your fins, or you mask, or any number of other things you take on a trip? I keep mine in a Pelican case along with a backup depth guage. You just get into a routine. I have three pelican cases in the bag. Red, Blue, Yellow. A quick glance at my bag tells me if I've got all my important gear. Easy.

That reminds me of this one time I got on my gear and walked all the way down to the shore at low tide and realized I left my fins back up by the sidewalk. :D Every dive I sit there and think "what did I forget???" even when I didn't forget anything.

You certainly have good points and I would say that definitely on ascents while holding onto a line or something else I have wished for a wrist mounted computer. For just following a line up though it is easy to tell how fast you are ascending (if you're ascending at all) as opposed to doing it midwater with no visual reference. In that case checking the console now and then is no biggie.

PerroneFord:
How is keeping track of a wrist computer any different than keeping track of your fins, or you mask, or any number of other things you take on a trip?

It's not. But if I lost my mask or fins, I'd be a lot less upset than if I lost my computer! I do try to get in a routine, but you know the saying: S### happens. I certainly didn't intent to leave my weight pouches in Belize, but s### happens!

My computer stays on my drysuit until I get home. So it's a non issue.

Diving is a gear intensive sport. If you can't handle hanging on to your gear it will probably be even more expensive.

The only decent argument _against_ wrist mounting has been by lobster hunters who may get their hands stuck if they have gauges on their wrists (or, realistically, their forearm). Other than that... *shrug*

jeckyll:
My computer stays on my drysuit until I get home. So it's a non issue.

Diving is a gear intensive sport. If you can't handle hanging on to your gear it will probably be even more expensive.

The only decent argument _against_ wrist mounting has been by lobster hunters who may get their hands stuck if they have gauges on their wrists (or, realistically, their forearm). Other than that... *shrug*
I don't think anyone's arguing *against* wrist mounting. Some of us are just giving the reasons why *we* prefer consoles. Shrug away.

Glad you've never lost anything in your life. Must be nice to be perfect! :D

Leejnd:
I don't think anyone's arguing *against* wrist mounting. Some of us are just giving the reasons why *we* prefer consoles. Shrug away.

Glad you've never lost anything in your life. Must be nice to be perfect! :D

Never said I was perfect, but you better get used to carefully tracking gear. For instance, doing night dives in December, when much of your gear is black, requires checking over everything carefully as you pack it. Really a matter of attention and focus more than anything else.

Maybe also a good time to think about always packing things in a predictable manner, so that checking that you've got everything is easy. :)

Boat diving vs. shore diving vs. diving out of a hotel while leaving some gear on the boat, I've found that having a general strategy for packing and checking gear helps.

Of course, YMMV.

Leejnd:
It's not. But if I lost my mask or fins, I'd be a lot less upset than if I lost my computer! I do try to get in a routine, but you know the saying: S### happens. I certainly didn't intent to leave my weight pouches in Belize, but s### happens!

Well, if I forgot my fins or my mask, I really couldn't do the dive. That would upset me. Forgetting my dive computer... well, I can still dive.

Back
Top Bottom