Wrist or consoles computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer my console, my retractor clip is a little to small for it so it keeps it facing the right direction. The time I tried a wrist mount i forgot to check as often.

Blackwood:
ClayJar:
...the number of divers who have switched appears to lean heavily in the console-to-wrist direction...
I'd be willing to bet that has at least something to do with dive shops pushing the more-expensive gear on new divers.
I have seen very few wireless air-integrated wrist consoles on our trips. The vast majority of wrist computers I've seen have been along the lines of the Suunto Gekko and similar devices.

With the Gekko, Vyper, and Vyper2, there's no cost pressure one way or the other. It's quite purely a matter of preferred form factor. A while back, I had been the only diver on the "cattle boat" to dive with a wrist computer. On our latest checkout trip, of those divers with a Gekko, Vyper, or Vyper2, the wrist computers now actually outnumbered the console computers (and more than one of the console users asked about whether they could move their computer to their wrist, too).

Again, it's not a matter of "the right way" versus "the wrong way", but having used both, I must say that a wrist-mounted computer can provide significant advantage to a diver compared to a console-mounted computer. For some divers, a console may be preferred for some reason or another (and I do not discount those reasons where they apply), but in general, wrist-mounting computers seems quite logical for the same reasons wristwatches eventually became more popular than pocket watches.

I have both, a air intergrated console and a wireless wrist unit. To me the wrist unit is much easier to use. I can move my wrist unit right in front of my mask, for faster, easier viewing , plus it eliminates a hose. I don't have to look down or wear a retractor like I have to wear for the console. The only place I wear the console anymore is in the pool with students. :palmtree: Bob

ClayJar:
I have seen very few wireless air-integrated wrist consoles on our trips. The vast majority of wrist computers I've seen have been along the lines of the Suunto Gekko and similar devices.

With the Gekko, Vyper, and Vyper2, there's no cost pressure one way or the other. It's quite purely a matter of preferred form factor.

I wasn't meaning wireless AI units. But many consoles cost more than the sum of their parts. Quick disconnects, the material cost, etc. make them at least slightly more expensive.

ClayJar:
I must say that a wrist-mounted computer can provide significant advantage to a diver compared to a console-mounted computer.

I tend to agree.

I currently have a console mount and I'm thinking of switching it to wrist - I can't find a guard for it and the face is all scratched up making it hard to read when not in the water. Besides, the download i/f is made for the wrist mount - it's thinner than the console and it doesn't make contact with the contacts so I have to take it out of the console whenever I want to download it. Bummer.

I just spent a lot of time thinking about this and went with a console computer. Several reasons.

- When you're on an "easy dive" where you're not looking at your computer much, it is against your bc and out of the way with a retractor. Pull it out, get your info and done. No extra junk on your wrists. It also gets tangled in your bc straps putting them on and off. You also don't want stuff on your wrists if you're reaching in holes hunting bugs :- )

- That said, I keep my compass on my wrist as I use it way more than my computer. Wrist is more convenient for compass, IMO. I can always lose the compass if it's easy navigation - less "stuff".

- And unless you go AI, you've got that hose and SPG there anyways...

- The negative - low vis dive. The other day I was trying to navigate and maintain 20 ft in the water column and couldn't keep my console computer and wrist mount compass in front of me at the same time. It would have been better to have the compass on the console for that dive. But... if I had a wrist mount computer i would have had one or the other arm in front of my head the whole way. Either way would have worked.

I'm not a tech diver, so that's my 2 cents. Tech divers have different needs.

I can see where a wrist mount would be nice for ascents, say if you had to hold onto something (like your dive buddy) with one hand and vent your BC with the other. Otherwise though I don't have a problem holding the computer in my right hand and venting with the left.

With the QD bringing the computer with me to go fill out my log book is easy. The large display on the console (Pro Plus) is very nice. Since everything I need is on the display and the compass is attached, I can hold it in front of my face and see everything I need to.

It's very hard to "forget" to bring my console, since I leave it attached. If I had to keep track of a separate wrist mount computer and compass I would be constantly worried about misplacing them.

I'm not sure what some of you mean by having to turn over your console?

Anyway chose whatever, you'll be OK either way. If I had a wrist mount computer I'm sure I would love it.

SNorman:
Otherwise though I don't have a problem holding the computer in my right hand and venting with the left.

This gets a bit harder when your ascents take half an hour or more. Holding the console is a PITA.

SNorman:
With the QD bringing the computer with me to go fill out my log book is easy. The large display on the console (Pro Plus) is very nice. Since everything I need is on the display and the compass is attached, I can hold it in front of my face and see everything I need to.

Have you had to swim any long distances reading the compass? Holding that thing out and trying to do a long swim is like trying to sight in with a brick in your hand.

SNorman:
It's very hard to "forget" to bring my console, since I leave it attached. If I had to keep track of a separate wrist mount computer and compass I would be constantly worried about misplacing them.

How is keeping track of a wrist computer any different than keeping track of your fins, or you mask, or any number of other things you take on a trip? I keep mine in a Pelican case along with a backup depth guage. You just get into a routine. I have three pelican cases in the bag. Red, Blue, Yellow. A quick glance at my bag tells me if I've got all my important gear. Easy.

SNorman:

Some consoles have 2 sides. Some don't and have all instruments reading on one side. These tend to be longer.

SNorman:
Anyway chose whatever, you'll be OK either way. If I had a wrist mount computer I'm sure I would love it.

I sure love mine.

SNorman:

That's one of the main reasons I prefer my console. One less thing to forget or lose. I've been doing a lot of dive travel lately, and it's just too easy to leave something small. In fact, I just got back from Belize and realized we left our weight pouches at the dive shop! Luckily they are sending them back to us.

Some consoles have the computer/spg on one side, and the compass on the other, so you have to flip it over. With mine, you just tack the compass onto the end of it, so all three are on one side, which is how I prefer it.

2ndjetty:
You also don't want stuff on your wrists if you're reaching in holes hunting bugs :)
Now *that's* a valid reason. :D

SNorman:
I can see where a wrist mount would be nice for ascents, say if you had to hold onto something (like your dive buddy) with one hand and vent your BC with the other. Otherwise though I don't have a problem holding the computer in my right hand and venting with the left.
Hehe... I perceive you do much less holding of things than I. :D Among the things I hold are:
  • Buddies (or, more often, *other* divers)
  • Anchor lines (in a strong current, for example -- you *can* alternate console viewing and air dumping, but having your dive info on the arm holding the line is much simpler)
  • Spools/reels (either hanging off a bag or following up a slope)
  • Salvage (working a lift bag and a BC makes you glad you don't need more hands -- adding a drysuit makes you *really* glad)
I'm not tech, but I suppose I do a bit more in my various dives than some people. :wink:
SNorman:
When I don't have my computers, compass, or whatever on my wrists, I keep them on my regulator. There's no more chance I'll leave them than there is that I'd leave behind a console on a quick disconnect. I follow this procedure religiously, on the boat and off, as I know I am not the most memory-endowed diver on the planet... although I've only had to hike back to the car for my fins a couple times. :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom