Wrist or Console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fouremco

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Completed my OW over the weekend. :D

Now I'm ready to start purchasing equipment over the next few months. As I've been doing my research, including a lot of reading here, I've seen passing comments on the benefits of console-mounted equipment in some posts and wrist-mounted equipment in others, but I've not found any threads dealing specificaly with the differences in approach and there relative merits.

My inclination right now is to go for a wrist-mounted computer and compass with a single SPG guage console, but I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks in advance...

Well, it's personal preference, but I started out with a console and moved to wrist mount because the console was bulky. My only concern about wrist mount was that I would lose it, so I'm just really careful about keeping track of it on the boat. Other than that, I prefer having a wrist computer much better. When I'm ascending I can just hold my arm up, instead of holding the console. Hope that gives you a little food for thought. Good luck with your decision.

Fouremco:
Completed my OW over the weekend. :D

Now I'm ready to start purchasing equipment over the next few months. As I've been doing my research, including a lot of reading here, I've seen passing comments on the benefits of console-mounted equipment in some posts and wrist-mounted equipment in others, but I've not found any threads dealing specificaly with the differences in approach and there relative merits.

My inclination right now is to go for a wrist-mounted computer and compass with a single SPG guage console, but I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks in advance...

You will probably get a lot of wrist suggestions here. I suggest you do a few more dives with rental gear and now that the dust is settling for you really pay attention to how the gear feels to you.

A wrist mounted compass means swimming with your arm cocked in cases where you need to hold a constant heading, like in a current. I went console and the compass is the lead instrument. I run it on a shoulder D ring bungie with a bolt snap and it just reaches before stretching. I can hold it with on hand with my elbow tucked in against my body staying streamlined. What works for you works for you.

As for the computer I plan to go wrist style.

As for the gauges I'm keeping my SPG and depth gauges. No interest in air integrated either. I can't reason not having a back-up to an electronic divice underwater so the conventional instruments will stay. This is to complete a dive or to permit diving if the computer is out of commission.

One benefit cited for concole mounted anything is that you won't forget it. The downside is that any failure takes the rig down.

Pete

Congratulations Fouremco! :D

Sounds like you're on the right track with your gear configuration, as that's a setup many people here prefer. You'll get lots of opinions of course, which is good. Just remember, you can always change it later if you don't like it. So don't worry too much if you get conflicting opinions, it's your choice. Now go have some fun diving!

___

While a good case can be made for a console or a BCD D-ring retractor, a dive computer mounted on your wrist will be referenced much more often (which contibutes to safety & performance). :05:

As others have said, chosing a wrist unit or a console unit is a matter of personal preference. For myself, I have a console containing SPG, compass, and depth gauge, and wear my dive computer on my wrist. The only change I might make someday (when I have more dive experience and more money) would be an air-integrated dive computer. I'll probably stick to the wrist-mounted computer.

In any case, I like the idea of redundancy -- our gauges are an important part of our life support system. Having an SPG and depth gauge on a console gives us a back up in the event of dive computer failure.

With respect to the compass, I prefer to have it on the console. Somehow, it feels more "natural" there.

In any case, with respect to your "wrist vs. console" question, the best answer is whatever configuration works best for you.

I like it wrist-mounted. Place it on your right arm and hold your inflator in your left, and you have access to your ascent rate indicator and other specs as you ascend.

Bought a console with compass, and regret it. I've bought a wrist-mounted computer, and have asked for a wrist compass for Christmas. Hauling the console up to look at it turned out to be a pain.

I have a wrist mounted computer and a wrist mount compass and love both of them. There is nothing to clip off to your BCD and nothing to have to feel around for when you need them. When I used rental gear I couldn't always find the console on the first try...but I seem to always be able to locate my arms. Also when ascending it is possible to look down at your computer while you use that hand for something else rather than having to hold on to a console.

-Keith

Back
Top Bottom