wrist or console computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you going tech or not? Are you going GUE fundies or DIR or just staying plain Recreational?all these questions need to be decided before you go any firther with the equipement.
Whether the dive computer can live in a wrist-mount is a legitimate feature to consider. FYI, there are many wrist-mountable dive computers out there that feature air, nitrox, and gauge modes. Pick one. If you end up going GUE or DIR or tech, you can still run it in gauge mode. However, you don't necessarily have to decide your whole diving future before buying a dive computer.

Advantages of a console computer: Attached to your reg, so you won't forget it. Less expensive. Easy air integration.

Advantages of a wrist computer: Immediately visible at essentially all times. This heavily influences the ease of controlled ascents.

I'm a wrist person, but there are arguments on both sides.

...if you 'go' wrist-mount, be careful where you place the unit when not in use...I have a little rule on a dive trip....wrist computer is either clipped off to BC D-ring or on my wrist AT ALL TIMES!....never set it down anywhere, it's amazing how easily things as small as a wrist computer can be to lose/misplace.

To answer the question what type of diver am I. I am an advanced open water diver. I do alot of diving on vacations down south. But I just bought a boat so I am hoping on getting some diving in off the Jersey shore near where I live.

Wrist all the way and may I suggest the Oceanic OC-1....you will not be disappointed

I prefer wrist, but console works as well. It's a matter of preference. There are many computers that can be mounted either in a wrist mount or in a console. If you get one of those you can try both ways and see what suits you best. We sell a couple of such computers, the Profile or Insight.

I prefer a wrist style computer, specifically a wrist watch style.

When you're on a dive trip, it's nice to have your dive profiles right on your wrist while you sit a the bar at the end of the day, watching the sunset, discussing your dives with your buddies!!

I prefer the wrist mount, as it is easy to view your depth when doing an ascent without a vertical reference line. I definitely agree with getting something that will fit with one of the DSS Bungee mounts. The bungee mount allows you to gear up faster, and if you get seasick easily (I don't, but my buddy does), not having to concentrate on working the wristband is a good thing. I really like my DiveRite Duo, and they are currently on sale at Dive Gear Express: NiTek Duo Dive Computer by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

Wow, the oceanic has an online simulator to learn how to use it?

Maybe I am getting old but I think a dive computer should be simple...ironically, I am a software engineer so i think everything should be simple to the end user.

Back
Top Bottom