wrist or console computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know that there probably isn't much new information here, but my preference is the computers (there are 2, Cochran EMC-20 and Nitek Duo) on the right wrist and the compass on the left.

Every time I recommend this to a right handed diver, invariably they put the computer on the left wrist and then move it after the first dive because they realize that it's tough to see the display with your wrist over your head while deflating the BCD. Every time.

Best point I've seen so far: try it out before you buy.

My wife has a Suunto which can be worn on the wrist with a bungee mount or put into a console. When it's in the console, she has bouancy issues, when it's on the wrist... no issues.

I prefer the user replaceable battery, both of mine are. Of course, this option is only valuable if you carry spare batteries! Yes, it's possible to flood this way, but use care and lube the o ring. At least with a user replaceable battery you have a chance to get back into the action...

Good luck with your decisions...

I Would like to expand the question to where else could you mount the computer to use it effectively. My console mount drives me nuts and a fair amount of my diving excludes a wrist mount.

I second the user replaceable battery.

Bob

Bungee mount on biceps?

I mount my console AI computer on the right side HP port (hooray to Atomic Aquatics) so that I can hold it in my right hand and free my left hand to manipulate the power inflator. Alas, some 1st stages only have one HP port and it's usually on the left side. One can still grab the console with the right hand across the body, so it ain't a big deal, just less convenient if one can mount the console on the right side.

computer on left wrist and for more than a few dives as well. I dive a dry suit so I never have air in my bcd except on the surface. I can see my computer well and vent my dry suit as needed as I ascend.

I tried the computer once on the right wrist and just didn't like it.

As far as wrist vs console, wrist, no doubt and the strongest recommendation. Everything I need to manage my dive is in one placeand there until such time as the sea lions decide to steal my arm from me

Just finished Diving 1 week -oceanic Vt3 (first time computer user) WOW loved it
easy to use,see and plan.After 2 dives knew it inside and out. Started out on left arm,You need to put it on your right arm. why you ask? So when your letting air out your BC you can watch your depth as you go up. Seems awkward at first but more practical.Also make sure you go air integrated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom