wrist or console computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And with proper gas/dive planning you do not even need to look to see how much gas you have. You already know that unless something terribly wrong has occurred, you have the gas to complete the dive.

I understand that you are saying an experienced diver uses his gauges to verify what he already knows and should never be surprised at how much air it is reading but lets try not to encourage folks to dive without gauges -old divers using old stuff excluded.

Do they offer this for all their dive computers?

so far we (DiveNav) are developing promotional/tutorial videos and online specialty classes for 7 different brands (for a total of ~40 different dive computers)

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I understand that you are saying an experienced diver uses his gauges to verify what he already knows and should never be surprised at how much air it is reading but lets try not to encourage folks to dive without gauges -old divers using old stuff excluded.

My bad. I have a SPG on my reg setup, no boot just a 30" high pressure Miflex hose. If I planned correctly, I will have enough gas to do my dive. I do use my SPG for unequal tanks and gas matching.

And the guys that still dive with a J-valve and the likes, love it. I won't do it. But their setups have lasted this long.

Taking advice from a n00b like me will probably get you killed, but since you asked I second the bungee mount. I put mine on my forearm alongside my bottom timer. Super easy to read while cruising slowly with arms outstretched or folded across my chest for trim. I took the DIR road and put it on my right arm: The left hand operates the dump valve and wing inflator, so when ever you are trying to control your level (such as during a safety stop), you are looking at your depth on your right arms while using your left to control your wing or BCD's inflation.

That's not DIR, it's just natural human ergonomics and the way most BCDs are setup.

I recently went wrist with an Air Integrated (AI) dive computer on my right arm. It is so much eaisier to use than my old console.

I second the pro that you can't misplace a console. I have seen a number of divers surface without their wrist mount because of the poorly designed wrist strap buckles, spend the time and money to make a bungie mount so you don't lose your investment.

I always dive with two computers.

HUD Oceanic Data mask, kinda a toy but convinient

Vr3 with trimix software - love it.

I dont like the straps on the Vr3 though

Wow, the oceanic has an online simulator to learn how to use it?

Maybe I am getting old but I think a dive computer should be simple...ironically, I am a software engineer so i think everything should be simple to the end user.

My Suunto Vyper has a built-in simulator and it's one of my favorite features.

Adam

I prefer the console mount, because that's where the compass and the pressure gauge is. I see everything with one glance.

I should add that I actually dive with two computers, a Vyper on my right wrist and an old Prodigy in the console. But as I said above it's more natural to have the computer where the compass and the SPG is. One glance checks all the displays.

Adam

Last edited:
I use an Aeris AI computer wrist-mounted, but made my own bungee mount my cutting and modifying the wrist strap. I love it, because with the comp on my right arm and my watch and compass on the left I now have a "dashboard" which feeds me information at a glance. I still keep a SPG on my left d-ring for when/if my comp dies out on me mid-dive so I can monitor my air supply, but for general gas monitoring my wrist mounted computer does a great job.

Peace,
Greg

I use a wrist mount with user replaceable battery. Actually, I've been using two wrist mounts for some time. The Oceanic Veo 250 on my right is my main, and the Suunto Vytec on my left wrist is my backup. I practice using them both so I will be familiar with their functions when I might need one or the other. I only bought the cable and use the software with the Oceanic. But I compare each one with the other on every dive. They match up very well.

Yes, they get scratched up when rolling around on the rocks getting off and on the jetties during the waves and surge. But, that's what the replaceable plastic protective cover is for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom