wrist or console computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wrist or console?

Both.

I have both a wrist computer and a console computer. They both do their jobs well if I do my job well.

Wrist AI computer has one less hose.

Console computer has large display for easy viewing. I wear my console computer on the right side so that upon ascend or descend, I have my left hand on the power inflator and right hand on the gauge without having to reach across my body to grab for the console like many others who mount theirs on the left side.

I prefer the wrist mount, but then I also like having redundancy, 2 depth gages, 2 SPG, 2 timers etc. I wear on my right wrist so I can monitor ascent/descent and still control my pressure inflator.
My SO uses a console and likes it very much.

GeneV

From personal observation, 2-3 dives a week someone will leave a wrist mount on the camera table when they jump in and do the dive without it or come back for it 10 minutes into the dive. The user replaceable battery situation causes 3-4 flooded computers a year and is used way to much to reset a computer that has had some sort of violation. I personally use a wrist mount with user replaceable battery.

I like the computer on my right wrist. This covers depth and time time issues. Then I have a small SPG clipped off of a D-ring on the left side of my BC for easy access, so I can keep an eye on how much gas is remaining in my tank. My compass is clipped in a pocket but is normally not needed for my typical dive, which is guided warm water stuff. When I dive locally (California Coast) my compass is on my left wrist.

Vyper2 Wrist+ Bungee

Can't wait to get an X1....after a can light...and a drysuit...and another few stages...dang it, will this list not stop?

Wrist AI computer has one less hose.

Get an Air2 or equivilent and replace your BC inflator with a backup regulator. Now you're down to 2 hoses for a streamlined rig. AI on your wrist.

A flick of the wrist and you've got it all right there in front of you- Nitrogen absorption, 02 levels, gas remaining, dive time remaining (on most AI computers).

It doesn't get any better than that.

And with proper gas/dive planning you do not even need to look to see how much gas you have. You already know that unless something terribly wrong has occurred, you have the gas to complete the dive.

And with proper gas/dive planning you do not even need to look to see how much gas you have. You already know that unless something terribly wrong has occurred, you have the gas to complete the dive.

Really?

Wow you're good. Even with the best dive planning I cannot do any better than a rough estimate at any given time during the dive, and I prefer to have a real time update as to my remaining gas levels. There might be a current one day, and none the next. I might see something that requires a bit of a swim and therefore more exertion on one dive, and on another just stay close to the anchor line. There might be a delay in starting the dive due to another member in the group or an unforseen equipment difficulty..just to name a few things that can vary.

No two dive conditions are exactly the same...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom