Wrist Mounted Dive Computer for New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My rig is an Atomics ST1 first and second stage. The first stage has two high-pressure and five low-pressure ports on swivel cap. I was told I could easily run AI AND still have a SPG with this first stage which is one of the top three reasons I went with that model.

Yes, with this first stage you certainly can.

I wanted to take the time to thank everyone that has posted here. I know these threads can become heated at times and I really appreciate the advice.

I noticed everyone says to spend my money on diving rather than a new computer. I should state that I won't buy gear if it means I have to put off diving. I won't break the bank so to speak to buy some rad piece of gear only to have it sit in the closet because I am entirely too broke to go dive.

I love being underwater more than these surface intervals so splashing is always my first priority. Well, splashing and safely returning.

Again, thank you all and I look forward to reading more as I have already learned more than i knew prior to making this thread.

I went through the same torture of trying to decide the perfect starting computer and finally gave up. It's like trying to learn what you want in a car without ever driving one, or what pants fit by reading reviews. I bought a Chromis and will spend the next couple years learning what I want and need. I do like that I can wear it as a watch 24hrs when on trips.

Again, thank you all and I look forward to reading more as I have already learned more than i knew prior to making this thread.

All very interesting I'm sure. However, if you really want to buy a $800+ computer for under $600, I expect you know where fleebay, craigslist, and classifieds section over there are as well now as you did back before you asked.

Just a point in passing.

Don't buy a computer based on your intention to be a Divemaster or instructor. If you are acting as a guide for a group, or teaching you'll want a computer whose algorithm, is close to or the same as the people you are taking down. There is no point having a whizz bang computer for this because you want to control the dive by the NDL of the most most conservative computer of your group.. You don't want to find that while you have NDL time, your clients are into deco. Often that means using one of the shops computers.

Lots of my friends have high end technical computers, but when they are guiding or teaching, the basic shop machine is the one they use - which is also useful if the client is unsure how it works.

If it were me I'd currently dive my current computer while I save up for something I actually wanted (or a great deal comes along) - rather than compromise myself and as teh OP says, there is no point spending money if you can't then afford to dive.

But then I'm a hypocrite because when it comes to new shiny object "Wait" doesn't enter my vocabulary :eek:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom