Wrist Mounted Dive Computer for New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only one I know of that is cheaper than a Perdix AI, Trimix-capable, and AI-capable is the Hollis TX-1, as dmaziuk said. But, as he said, it does not have an LED screen. It's a basic LCD with a backlight. I have one that I will be putting up for sale soon (if the Perdix AI I ordered ever arrives).

A Suunto Helo2 has wireless air integration (but none of the gas time remaining stuff) and trimix with up to 8 different gases. There is often a deal with a free transmitter for the wireless. When that happens I can buy three for the price of a Perdix with its transmitter.

It even has PC and Mac planning software so you can see how much time you'd get doing four dives a day before you buy it.

Something else to consider about AI is you stated that you may want to get into side mount, and being an instructor, and maybe some other types of diving which others have been discussing. I have found in teaching OW students, recreational classes and doing some more involved diving myself for fun, that I have different regulators for different applications. In side mount you will need at least two separate regs, one for each side. This is doable with AI but made complicated in needing more transmitters and a computer capable for that. It also increases the associated costs as well as possibility for mistakes.
I use one computer no matter which regulator or set I'm using. This is one piece of gear that the one you have now will be useful for your students to use when/if you start teaching. Also it'll take some time for you to get to that point, and technology is such that there will be new computers available to you when that time comes, and as has already been stated, a lot of shops want you to use the gear they sell. Its a marketing tool for them.

After diving for 20yrs I am still using the same computer that I bought in 1997 for recreational diving. As for my baby technical diving which also include occasional trimxi, I use cheap but reliable Uwatec Bottom timer(x2).
Aqua Lung i200 is as SAFE as any dive computer in the market. Spend the money on diving.

A Suunto Helo2 has wireless air integration (but none of the gas time remaining stuff) and trimix with up to 8 different gases. There is often a deal with a free transmitter for the wireless. When that happens I can buy three for the price of a Perdix with its transmitter.

It even has PC and Mac planning software so you can see how much time you'd get doing four dives a day before you buy it.

Good to know that the Helo2 supports Trimix. The Suunto Eon Steel does, too. Neither one is in the OP's price range. And the Helo2 also doesn't meet his stated requirement for an LED or OLED screen.

The Perdix AI w/transmitter is going for about $1150. You can get 3 Helo2s for that much? Or are you just saying 1 Helo2 with 3 x transmitters?

Neither Suunto supports the Buhlmann algorithm with Gradient Factors - so I personally wouldn't buy one anyway. With the Helo2 having an LCD display, I would be comparing it to the Hollis TX-1 - and buy the Hollis. They're even less expensive than the Helo2.

Good to know that the Helo2 supports Trimix. The Suunto Eon Steel does, too. Neither one is in the OP's price range. And the Helo2 also doesn't meet his stated requirement for an LED or OLED screen.

The Perdix AI w/transmitter is going for about $1150. You can get 3 Helo2s for that much? Or are you just saying 1 Helo2 with 3 x transmitters?

Neither Suunto supports the Buhlmann algorithm with Gradient Factors - so I personally wouldn't buy one anyway. With the Helo2 having an LCD display, I would be comparing it to the Hollis TX-1 - and buy the Hollis. They're even less expensive than the Helo2.

The cheapest recent price for a Helo2 WITH transmitter was £315 but usually £355. A Perdix AI is £870 plus £215 for the transmitter which I rate as eyewateringly expensive.

I think that GF is a disadvantage for the non expert.

If your current computer is working and you really have budget constrains spend the money diving and getting real experience. If you don't have constraints buy that nice computer and go diving and get real experience. :) If you really want to progress and become an instructor you need dive experience and preferably different locations and conditions.

Have fun...

I want an air integrated computer. I already run an SPG and having air integrated gives me the redundancy
How many HP ports does your rig have, and how are they arranged?

If it is a single tank setup with a single HP port - e.g. any Aeris 1st stage - then you will not be able to use both an SPG and AI (unless you add a splitter i.e. two extra failure points). If it is a single tank setup and there are two HP ports but insufficient distance between HP and LP ports to accommodate an AI transmitter then you won't be able to use the transmitter (unless you add a short HP hose i.e. an extra failure point and a dangling bit).

Last edited:
(unless you add a splitter i.e. two extra failure points).

as opposed to a stage with 2 hp ports and 5 lp? come on, give me a break.....

(unless you add a short HP hose i.e. an extra failure point and a dangling bit).

and the bodies continue to just pile up in recreational diving from this....

Know your audience - this utter BS/Urban Legend scare tactic crap has to cease....

Know your audience - this utter BS/Urban Legend scare tactic crap has to cease....
Thank you for your input Bob.
I hereby revise my opinion and denounce the BS, Urban Legend, and any scare tactic crap I was so unfortunate to disseminate. Please disregard my post.
:cheers:

How many HP ports does your rig have, and how are they arranged?

If it is a single tank setup with a single HP port - e.g. any Aeris 1st stage - then you will not be able to use both an SPG and AI (unless you add a splitter i.e. two extra failure points). If it is a single tank setup and there are two HP ports but insufficient distance between HP and LP ports to accommodate an AI transmitter then you won't be able to use the transmitter (unless you add a short HP hose i.e. an extra failure point and a dangling bit).

My rig is an Atomics ST1 first and second stage. The first stage has two high-pressure and five low-pressure ports on swivel cap. I was told I could easily run AI AND still have a SPG with this first stage which is one of the top three reasons I went with that model.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom