Wrist Mounted Dive Computer for New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaWithTurk

Bubble Blowing Buddha
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I currently own a basic computer, the Aqua Lung i200. While it helped me get through my OW certification, I have already realized I want something more.

I searched the forums here and wow...so many threads and opinions so I felt I would start my own based on what it is I am looking for so that I can use this for a long time.

My goal is to eventually become an instructor as it is a lifelong dream I have had.

1.I want an air integrated computer. I already run an SPG and having air integrated gives me the redundancy I want and feel I need. It would be nice if it had the ability to monitor by buddies air as well.

2.It has to be able to do mixed gases (my knowledge of this is less slim and more none)

3. I would like a very easy to read screen and is also easy to use with 5mm gloves on as I am currently diving in California waters.

I am not ready to buy at this time as I am about to spend my extra cash on a wetsuit this weekend but I would like to stay around the $500-600 range.

I know many will say buy the Perdix 2 and I have looked at it but it is over what I felt I could afford to spend and was hoping there might be some other options for me.

I also know this is a hot button topic and would like some good suggestions based on all of the amazing experience here without being told over and over to just buy the Perdix 2. If that is the only option I will consider it but hope that this will not only help to lead me to a great computer I can use for years to come but also expand m,y knowledge base of dive computers.

Thank you in advance for the many answers I am sure to receive.

1.I want an air integrated computer. I already run an SPG and having air integrated gives me the redundancy I want and feel I need. It would be nice if it had the ability to monitor by buddies air as well.

2.It has to be able to do mixed gases (my knowledge of this is less slim and more none)

3. I would like a very easy to read screen and is also easy to use with 5mm gloves on as I am currently diving in California waters.

I am not ready to buy at this time as I am about to spend my extra cash on a wetsuit this weekend but I would like to stay around the $500-600 range.

Pick any two then: drop the LED screen (TX1) or WAI. Better yet, save up for the perdix.

Given your list and the fact that you already have a dive computer that does everything a dive computer needs to do to get you in and out of the water safely, save you money until you can afford the dc that has all the perks you want, like the Perdix AI.

So I am guessing this thread will turn into a "buy the perdix" Having lurked here long enough I should have known better. :banghead:

Given your list and the fact that you already have a dive computer that does everything a dive computer needs to do to get you in and out of the water safely, save you money until you can afford the dc that has all the perks you want, like the Perdix AI.

Yes my current DC works but I am not very fond of it. I got a good deal on it and it has worked as a started to get me to depth and out of the water in a safe manner. But it is not at all what I want to keep diving with.

I have to give a +1 to the wait until you can get what you really want. And also a +1 to the Petrel 2 or Perdix.

Unrelated........but your profile says divemaster candidate..........with 0-24 dives.........

Presumably "do mixed gases" means Trimix? Any of them can do Nitrox.

The only one I know of that is cheaper than a Perdix AI, Trimix-capable, and AI-capable is the Hollis TX-1, as dmaziuk said. But, as he said, it does not have an LED screen. It's a basic LCD with a backlight. I have one that I will be putting up for sale soon (if the Perdix AI I ordered ever arrives).

One good thing about the TX-1 is that it uses the same transmitter as a Perdix AI, so if you start with that, when you're ready to get a Perdix, you won't have to replace your transmitter. And if you keep the TX-1 as a backup, you can have both computers reading your transmitter, for redundant display of tank pressure (from a non-redundant transmitter).

Another is that it runs the Buhlmann algorithm, with Gradient Factors. The de facto standard for Trimix diving - the same algorithm as the Perdix. One nit I have with it, though, is that it will only allow a max GF setting of 90. The Shearwater will allow a max of 99. In practice, this isn't really an issue at all, though. People don't generally use settings higher than about 85 anyway, at the most. Generally. There are exceptions, but the difference between 90 and 99 is pretty minimal anyway, really.

The LCD screen readability is what it is. It's an LCD. But, the TX-1 is more puck-sized than wristwatch-sized, so the screen size is decent, and the ability to work the buttons with thick gloves on has been fine for me.

I have to give a +1 to the wait until you can get what you really want. And also a +1 to the Petrel 2 or Perdix.

Unrelated........but your profile says divemaster candidate..........with 0-24 dives.........
The problem is I don't know enough to know what it is I want hence this thread. As for the DM candidate...I still don't know how that is there but apprently it is quite the big deal as I have multiple people question me on it.

Presumably "do mixed gases" means Trimix? Any of them can do Nitrox.

The only one I know of that is cheaper than a Perdix AI, Trimix-capable, and AI-capable is the Hollis TX-1, as dmaziuk said. But, as he said, it does not have an LED screen. It's a basic LCD with a backlight. I have one that I will be putting up for sale soon (if the Perdix AI I ordered ever arrives).

One good thing about the TX-1 is that it uses the same transmitter as a Perdix AI, so if you start with that, when you're ready to get a Perdix, you won't have to replace your transmitter. And if you keep the TX-1 as a backup, you can have both computers reading your transmitter, for redundant display of tank pressure (from a non-redundant transmitter).

Another is that it runs the Buhlmann algorithm, with Gradient Factors. The de facto standard for Trimix diving - the same algorithm as the Perdix. One nit I have with it, though, is that it will only allow a max GF setting of 90. The Shearwater will allow a max of 99. In practice, this isn't really an issue at all, though. People don't generally use settings higher than about 85 anyway, at the most. Generally. There are exceptions, but the difference between 90 and 99 is pretty minimal anyway, really.

The LCD screen readability is what it is. It's an LCD. But, the TX-1 is more puck-sized than wristwatch-sized, so the screen size is decent, and the ability to work the buttons with thick gloves on has been fine for me.

Thank you for this! This is very good information and broken down so I know what it is you are talking about. I saw the TX1 that dmaziuk posted about but had no idea to what he was referring.

The problem is I don't know enough to know what it is I want hence this thread

If you don't know what you want yet then don't make a choice to get something new. Dive your current system until you learn what it is you want.

I say this from experience, no one online is going to be able to help you figure out what you want. There's only one person who can do that.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom