Wrestling with drysuit buoyancy - update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIdiverMike

I can also sympathise with you struggling on the venting issue.

I have had my Evo 2 for about 18 months or so now and it is only in the last few dives that I feel I have finally cracked this venting thing. I was having so much trouble that I was very apprehensive of taking it on a boat dive and so have just been doing shore dives in it.

I will prob'ly get shouted down with my folllowing comment but it has definitely worked for me.

About a month ago, I decided that while shore diving I would use my dry suit for buoyancy. Up until this point I had been adding just enough air to off set squeese and any extra was added to my wing. The problem was that I wasn't getting much practice in venting the air out again. I have also been diving over weighted to force myself to make these changes which are more pronounced in the shallow water.

Since I started using the suit for buoyancy, I have been getting a lot more practice not only in venting but also in finding the optimum air to loft the under garments.

Yesterday I took the suit on my first boat dive (25 metres) and everything when...well...swimmingly! :D I was very surprised how much air I needed to add on descent and I still should have added more. I was hesitant though because I was worried about getting it out again. As a result I have some awesome bruises on my shoulders! (I guess that means my trim was pretty good???) I also had no probs venting and maintaining stops and now FINALLY feel pretty confident in it.

I wouldn't recommend using the suit for buoyancy all the time but as a learning aid, for me, it definaitely fast tracked the process.

Oh, re; the crotch squeeze. When you first start your descent, stretch your arms and legs out just as you leave the surface. I find this helps position the suit a little better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom