Wrench size needed to attach hoses to reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidHickey

Contributor
Reaction score
Kingsman, Ohio. Near Wilmington and Waynesville
# of dives
50 - 99
Good morning, I'm getting some new gear over the weekend and need to hook a few new hoses up to my Reg, ATX200. I'm borrowing one of my mechanics torque wrenches and can't remember what size crows foot wrench I need. Seems like it was 5/8ths but not for sure. Anyone know off the top of their heads?
Thanks
David

Wrench size may vary with hose type and manufacturer. While there is a torque spec for these fittings, the use of a torque wrench is not necessary. The seal is made by the o-ring. The required torque is just enough so that the fitting does not come undone in use. That is just enough so you can't undo it by hand. If you really have to use the torque wrench, grab 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, and 5/8. And since some are metric, grab 11 thru 16mm. The standard scuba multi-tool has 5 or 6 different wrench sizes to cover all requirements.

Geez never easy is it!!! Are those scuba multi tools I see advertised really worth it? I figured they were just some cheaply made multi tool people were trying to pawn off as being made for scuba. Any brand name better than another? Might have to pick one up
Thanks
David

I just use an adjustable wrench (small one)

A 6 inch adjustable wrench works just fine. Tighten the hoses snug and then a little extra to be safe.

DavidHickey:
Geez never easy is it!!! Are those scuba multi tools I see advertised really worth it? I figured they were just some cheaply made multi tool people were trying to pawn off as being made for scuba. Any brand name better than another? Might have to pick one up
Thanks
David

I bought a cheapo from LP. I usually remove most hoses from the 1st stages for travel so I can fit them all in my converted brief case/regulator bag so I use it fairly often. So "field" jobs like repairing a leaking HP swivel will require 2 wrenchs so I usually also carry a small adjustable. Included allen wrenchs, screw drivers and O-ring pick also useful. The pick is pretty large but useful in removing trashed o-rings from rental tanks. After 7 years mine has some rust so the claim of SS does not necessarily ally to all the utensils, butr they are all still functional.

I have a dental pick (you should use brass and not SS if you can find it because brass won't mess up your reg) and two adjustable wrenches. That will cover 99% of field repairs right there.

To tighten your hoses, I hand tighten them and then use an adjustable wrench to give it maybe an extra 10th of a turn - that's it. Don't overtorque them.

DavidHickey:
Good morning, I'm getting some new gear over the weekend and need to hook a few new hoses up to my Reg, ATX200. I'm borrowing one of my mechanics torque wrenches and can't remember what size crows foot wrench I need. Seems like it was 5/8ths but not for sure. Anyone know off the top of their heads?
Thanks
David

It is very easy to twist the hose fittings right off. I would defintely use the term "snug" but not "tight". I was doing a quick swap once and sheared the fitting right off. Fortunately a buddy had a tool that allowed me to unscrew the metal out of my first stage port without anything falling in. Just twist the hoses snug - just a bit more than hand tight and you are good to go.

--Matt

Thanks for the reminder. I am famous for over tightening screws and bolts. My latest debacle involved cracking the base of a new toilet by over tightening the wing nuts that hold it to the flange!

I just bought my wife a vytec with a transmitter for XMAS and I guess the same rule apples to tightening the transmitter to the HP port? Just tighten by hand then give it a little more?

Boogie711:
I have a dental pick (you should use brass and not SS if you can find it because brass won't mess up your reg) and two adjustable wrenches. That will cover 99% of field repairs right there.

Boogie, Where'd you get the dental pick? Those are great for removing O-rings and not damaging them. Hank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom