Wrench size needed to attach hoses to reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt_unique:
It is very easy to twist the hose fittings right off. I would defintely use the term "snug" but not "tight". I was doing a quick swap once and sheared the fitting right off. Fortunately a buddy had a tool that allowed me to unscrew the metal out of my first stage port without anything falling in. Just twist the hoses snug - just a bit more than hand tight and you are good to go.

--Matt

If you broke one off that easily, you should consider yourself lucky. To go that easily, it was probably already damaged and just looking for the right opportunity to let go.

Using an adjustable wrench on hose fittings used to get my employees fined a 6-pack for the first offense, doubling every time after that. :wtf:
By the time a case was involved everyone had pretty much been weaned from that bad habit. :crafty:

Hank49:
Boogie, Where'd you get the dental pick? Those are great for removing O-rings and not damaging them. Hank

You can get dental picks (not brass that I know of) through 'Cheaper than Dirt' or 'Sportman's Guide'. Both have web sites, just put their names in the search window. They both have closeouts and miscellaneous sporting goods so you may have to search a little. My $.02.

KTRJC

Bob3:
Using an adjustable wrench on hose fittings used to get my employees fined a 6-pack for the first offense, doubling every time after that. :wtf:
By the time a case was involved everyone had pretty much been weaned from that bad habit. :crafty:

I agree that there is simply no good excuse for the professional scuba tech in a shop environment servicing a paying customer's gear to use anything other than the right tool for the job. To me that means torque wrenches if there are torque specifications and box wrenches in lieu of adjustable wrenches. OTOH, with reasonable care and a good quality adjustable wrench, the job can easily be done without damage. I have a fair amout of older used gear that demonstrates the exception, and the result is just cosmetic damage; not functional problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom