Wreckmania II: On the scene!!!

Who is the biggest baddest Geek of them all...

• Spectre

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • ckharlan66

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • NetDoc

Votes: 18 50.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but give 'Tasha time to unpack and they will appear!!!

Also, I just realized that nobody has posted who won the wreckmania teddy bears!

Cindy, I had a GREAT time in Key West. My favorite place was Sloppy Joes and Mel Fisher Foundation.

Im working on my pictures and trip report on the SG as we speak.

Pete, you and Walter made the right decision about not using the SG for WM!

Dave

Downloading the pictures, that is. You have to open the file and then right click on the picture. Then you can save it as a .bmp file and then I can see the picture on my computer when I open it.

Jeff,

I still want permission to use some for my own purposes. Please?

For those of us who weren't there, how about a trip report for WMII? Who was there, what's the deal with the teddy bears?, what dives did you do, what's the story about the SG?, etc. I'm enjoying the photos as they come along so how about telling us about everything that went on?

Dee, I think we need a new thread started to give trip reports on. This one started while down there and it has grown over into the post trip time zone.

On the boat ride out there was only 5 divers which was cool for such a big boat. Myself, one couple, and 2 other male divers. I had already spoke to a guy in the parking lot and we agreed to buddy up before we even set foot on the boat. His name was Troy. The other male diver was a nice guy from LA, and the divemaster wanted to pair him up with Troy and I to which we all agreed. The guy from LA told us right off the bat that he was only OW certified, but had several dives to 100 feet, and that the dive operation had allowed him to dive the sight. He was concerned that Troy and I were going to go to the sand at 130 ffw. Troy and I had already set a bottom depth of 80 feet before we even stepped foot on the boat, so we advised him of that and all was cool.

When we got into the water everything was fine, as we descended the current got worse the deeper we went. We were tied off midship at about 50 fsw. In hindsight, if we were tied off at 100 feet Im sure we would all have aborted the dive, but the heavy current started at about 20 feet, and the wreck was only 30 feet below us, so we all pulled our way down. I have NEVER, EVER had to hold on and pull myself down so hard! By the time we got on the wreck I had used 1000 psi to get 50 feet deep, and Im not a heavy breather!

We all breathed for about 3 minutes to catch our breath, and then I motioned the hand over hand method to use the rail on the side of the ship to pull our way into the current and see if we could see some of the ship. We made it about 60 feet with me leading, then I turned the dive at 1500 psi. I was afraid that with the heavy current at our backs we would shoot right by the ascent line on the way back. We had to use the rail all the way back to make sure we didnt blow by it.

We all got on the line ok, with Troy in the lead, the guy in LA in the middle, and me bringing up the rear. Troy and I had agreed to keep the LA guy between us.

Althought the current was ripping at all depths other than the surface, it seemed to be the worst between 15 and 30 feet. Troy and the guy from LA did their stop at 30 feet while flapping in the wind like a flag and then went up. I, on the other hand stayed upwind of the line, and let the current blow me into the line, I did their stop at 30 ft and then did mine at 15 feet also. The guy from LA got out of the water as soon as he hit the surface, but Troy stayed in the water and kept a close eye on me as I did my stop and continued my ascent to him, then we both got on the boat together.

After the dive the guy from LA was seasick the whole time, although he didn't show any signs of it before the first dive.

Troy and I had a TREMENDOUS second dive on French reef at the Christmas Tree bouy, and I got some pictures of a 6-7 ft reef shark from about 4 feet away.

Without looking at my log book I guess the first dive was 55 feet for 25 minutes and the second dive was 40 feet for 45 minutes.

When Troy and I got back up, the guy from LA was still sick so we left him alone.

After 200 dives, this is the first one I probably should have aborted and didn't. It all turned out well, but I think my story is a common one. That rail that we pulled ourselves along with down there is much cleaner than the rest of the wreck. That tells me that heavy currents are common down there.

I don't mean for this report to scare anyone, but if you dive the Grove, and I WILL AGAIN SEVERAL MORE TIMES, Don't be afraid to abort it even though the wreck is only 20 feet below you.

Then go dive Frech reef and enjoy yourself. I damn sure did.

Later

Dave

Dave - good report.

Thanks

Marc

Back
Top Bottom