Wreck thievery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eagerbeaver

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say that someone has helped themselves to all the artifacts which we(Evolution) has found and displayed on the Mogami Maru here in Malapascua.

The artifacts shown here YouTube - Mogami Maru Display.AVI have all been completely removed.

So thanks to whomever it was for doing a single tank air dive to 50m and helping to destroy the historical nature of the wreck for future divers.

Where's those guys from Sea Hunt cutting air lines when you need them? Despicable. We had an investigation by the feds here at Lake mead, due to douches taking parts from the remains of the Hoover Dam construction sites. Which required a hacksaw.

There was a very interesting thread a few years ago after the Oriskany was sunk off of Pensacola, Florida and someone (illegally) took major material and bragged about it online. It was interesting because the thread broke into a flame war between two very opposite sides of the issue. One side had a view similar to the OP's--wreck artifacts are there for the viewing enjoyment of all divers, and they should be left as intact as possible so that everyone can enjoy them. The other side believed that wreck artifacts were there for the taking, and all praise goes to the one who takes them and accumulates such souvenirs--they were just going to rust away in a few decades anyway, so why not take them and enjoy them on land?

The diver who took the Oriskany artifacts and openly bragged about it was clearly stunned to learn that the other side even existed. His total previous experience had been with divers who were unabashedly in the looter camp, and he did not realize preservationists existed.

What struck me about the thread was that neither side could see the point of the other--at all. As a preservationist myself, the arguments of the looting contingent seemed foolish to me, but the arguments of the preservationists clearly seemed foolish to the looters.

So, as sad as it is that this looting occurred, I doubt that posting a thread about it here on ScubaBoard will have any real effect. Even if the person who took the stuff reads it, his or her attitude would likely be, "So what?" Others in the school of thought will wonder if there is anything else there for the taking. I imagine some of them will be offended by my use of the word "looting' to describe that activity. People who regularly carry hammers and chisels as normal wreck diving equipment and even talk about the best way to carry them on their web sites believe it is a totally legitimate activity.

To the OP : As more of a "leave it alone" diver than a preservationist I'm not sure I understand your point of view.
You say you discovered and displayed those items, so rather than leave it for everyone to see and marvel at, you took it upon yourself to move, clean, pose, and display these things yet you're upset when someone else does the same thing?
Your display was under water and the "offender" is in his curio shelf but you're both in the same class...

The reason for wreck diving is to see the "time capsule" ie. with ALL its content displayed in whatever conditions they were in.
When I was diving at Truk, I was most disturbed to see some of the artifects were deliberately moved to the more accessible place ie. outside the wrecks.
Leave nothing but bubbles, took nothing but memory.

There was a very interesting thread a few years ago after the Oriskany was sunk off of Pensacola, Florida and someone (illegally) took major material and bragged about it online. It was interesting because the thread broke into a flame war between two very opposite sides of the issue. One side had a view similar to the OP's--wreck artifacts are there for the viewing enjoyment of all divers, and they should be left as intact as possible so that everyone can enjoy them. The other side believed that wreck artifacts were there for the taking, and all praise goes to the one who takes them and accumulates such souvenirs--they were just going to rust away in a few decades anyway, so why not take them and enjoy them on land?

The diver who took the Oriskany artifacts and openly bragged about it was clearly stunned to learn that the other side even existed. His total previous experience had been with divers who were unabashedly in the looter camp, and he did not realize preservationists existed.

What struck me about the thread was that neither side could see the point of the other--at all. As a preservationist myself, the arguments of the looting contingent seemed foolish to me, but the arguments of the preservationists clearly seemed foolish to the looters.

So, as sad as it is that this looting occurred, I doubt that posting a thread about it here on ScubaBoard will have any real effect. Even if the person who took the stuff reads it, his or her attitude would likely be, "So what?" Others in the school of thought will wonder if there is anything else there for the taking. I imagine some of them will be offended by my use of the word "looting' to describe that activity. People who regularly carry hammers and chisels as normal wreck diving equipment and even talk about the best way to carry them on their web sites believe it is a totally legitimate activity.

An interesting twist to your story - the "looter" has since become one of the most active and requested dive masters for Oriskany dives, and he has aggressively fought to preserve the ship for all to enjoy.

Tragic, but you had way too much faith in mankind to put the artifacts out where any deep diver could snag them away.

Amazing.....I can't believe some folks......amazing.....so sad.

Hmm... If there's something to grab its usually taken here (Czecho). Dive clubs that sink stuff go to great lengths (one way screws, welding, concrete) to keep what they sink together.

Its a matter of socialization and how one views diving which puts you in one camp or another. Whats special, you or the dive site?

...and yes, every diver i know here has some kind of "dive trophy" ..and admittedly I do too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom