Wreck Pen.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Though I realize this is the DIR section, I have a question about wreck penetration instruction.

For those of you who do this regularly, who would you select as a top instructor? Keeping in mind that I want as little deviation from GUE type standards and training as possible. I guess I am looking for the wreck equivalent of Cavern/Intro.

My interest will be spending time on the great lakes, so training in that area makes sense. I probably won't be ready until next season, but I want to start my homework now, and get ready.

Thanks.

-P

Where are you looking to do the training? If you are interested in doing it on the Great Lakes, try calling Matt at Dan's Dive Shop dansdiveshop.ca I was supposed to meet with him last night, to discuss the deco course, but he couldn't make it to last night's pool session, so I chatted with 2 of his deco students, who said he was one of the best tech instructors in this area for Great Lakes diving, and he follows GUE methods quite strictly as I understand it. Particularly in gear config. From their website "Matt is highly experienced in the full spectrum of what Technical Diving has to offer from wreck exploration and penetration to full cave and sidemount cave, to the most demanding mixed gas dive sites." He might be a good candidate to take the wreck penetration course from, assuming you're interested in coming up this way for it.

Jim

It's not the Great Lakes, but Georgitsis does a wreck penetration course using the wrecks in San Diego. That would be about as high quality, and pretty much as DIR (with the exception of some gas mix differences) as you can get.

TSandM:
It's not the Great Lakes, but Georgitsis does a wreck penetration course using the wrecks in San Diego. That would be about as high quality, and pretty much as DIR (with the exception of some gas mix differences) as you can get.

I'm with TBQ on this one. Most of the other wreck classes will likely deviate from DIR principles. AG's class is 5 days and (equal to GUE's Cave1 in duration) and has equivelant skills to cavern+intro. The good thing is that if you are GUE cave trained, the proceedures will cross-over easily.

PM "DarkPup" on this board, he's taken it and can send you a link to his class report.

Much appreciated so far.

rjack321:
I'm with TBQ on this one. Most of the other wreck classes will likely deviate from DIR principles. AG's class is 5 days and (equal to GUE's Cave1 in duration) and has equivelant skills to cavern+intro. The good thing is that if you are GUE cave trained, the proceedures will cross-over easily.

PM "DarkPup" on this board, he's taken it and can send you a link to his class report.

I third the recommendation. If I was going to get wreck training then this is where I would go.

AG has you doing penetration in the Yukon. And all dives are videoed for learning more about what you did/didn't do. He can feel like a bit of a hard ***, but with some time to reflect on your experiences I am convinced everyone realizes: 1) he's an excellent instructor, 2) if he's identifying "issues" its really just to step your diving up a notch and nothing personal.

He was my GUE Tech1 instructor.

I have no prob with a hardass, as long as the material is good, and I am learning. If it's just power-tripping, it won't sit well with me. I've not heard that in regard to AG.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

-P

Perrone- you are already cave trained, yes? If so, speaking as someone who does both cave diving and wreck penetration frequently, I can say that the two are not dissimilar enough to warrant a redundant class. What would serve you best in that instance is to get a good mentor.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom