Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in Cuba 2 weeks ago, and we did a dive on this one wreck that the divemaster was spouting on about it being a really old wreck, since it had been underwater for OVER 50 YEARS!!!! I had fun explaining to him that in the Great Lakes, a 50 year old wreck is one of the new ones.

Jimmer:
I was in Cuba 2 weeks ago, and we did a dive on this one wreck that the divemaster was spouting on about it being a really old wreck, since it had been underwater for OVER 50 YEARS!!!! I had fun explaining to him that in the Great Lakes, a 50 year old wreck is one of the new ones.

That sounded so strange until I noticed that your Canadian. We can't (legally) visit Cuba. It's funny how my US mindset causes me to almost forget Cuba exists. Is there good diving in Cuba?

Yes, the diving was pretty nice down there. We dove on 2 wrecks, and 2 reefs. Visibility was fantastic compared to what I'm used to, and a nice balmy 80 degrees, and the divemaster was wearing a full 5mm suit, because it was cold this time of year. I had even more fun explaining to him that I did an ice dive 2 weeks prior to that, wearing a 5mm wetsuit with a 3mm core warmer underneath. The wrecks were nothing to write home about, but one had 2 spots you could swim through, and also had several old Russian military vehicles scattered around it, that were placed there for divers. The fish life was a nice change for me, but as has been said here before, that gets boring in a hurry, one pretty red fish, looks a lot like ther rest. We saw a couple big Morays, but I imagine a lot of the diving would be pretty similar in most of the Carribean/tropical Atlantic. As for it being illegal for Americans to go to Cuba, I was told there are quite a few that fly out of Toronto to vacation there.

Jimmer:
As for it being illegal for Americans to go to Cuba, I was told there are quite a few that fly out of Toronto to vacation there.

Yea, I know it happens quite a bit. Just not something I'm comfortable doing. I'm not enough of a rebel, at least not yet! I was rebellious in youth, became much more of a conformist when I was raising a family and I'm finding now that my kids are just about all grown up, I'm becoming more and more rebellious and anti-establishment with each passing day. I have very little patience for the institutional stupidity rampant around me. I'm fearful of what I'll be like when I'm 60!

DudleyNMU:
first of all i would buy a good book. Great Lakes Diving Guide. Chris Cole. Also do some google searchs and you should find many chater services. My personal favorite is www.rectecdivecharters.com great dive boat. Some nice wrecks in Sanilac Shores.

On the books...if you are trying to look up the author, Cole will get you nowhere. The author is Cris Kohl. My recommendation would be "The Great Lakes Diving Guide," but you may also want to pick up "The 100 Best Great Lakes Shipwrecks Vol. I and II." All the information you could possibly want and then some....

There is also an "Erie Wrecks" East and West pair of books that I am pretty pleased with. Authors are Georgann Wachter and Michael Wachter. Get's me itching to get back down on the Crystal, and see the Tradewind, Atlantic, and several others for the first time this year.

i dove two wrecks in lower lake michigan this summer and was amazed at the clarity (for a lake anyway). im from texas, so yes, i was cold... but i'll be back for sure. it's also something interesting to do. i'd recommend it for more serious wreck divers who are more interested in the actual wreck as opposed to the fish that live on the wreck... because of the fresh water they're much more intact and since there's a law prohibiting removal of items on the wreck, from what i understand there's lots of cool artifacts to be seen.

RAD Diver:
Their boat is docked in Westfield, they have a nice website.
http://www.osprey-dive.com/index.cfm

Looks like a good op, nice looking charter boat too. The shop I'm doing my DM through just started doing charters to those wrecks last summer, from the Canadian side, which works out great for me, lots of cheap diving on some awesome wrecks.

Divin'Hoosier:
Yea, I know it happens quite a bit. Just not something I'm comfortable doing. I'm not enough of a rebel, at least not yet! I was rebellious in youth, became much more of a conformist when I was raising a family and I'm finding now that my kids are just about all grown up, I'm becoming more and more rebellious and anti-establishment with each passing day. I have very little patience for the institutional stupidity rampant around me. I'm fearful of what I'll be like when I'm 60!

Jim, you need a charity function to visit Cuba - Habitat, medical services, etc have allowed 2 people I know down - they loved it - actually I read somewhere many years ago, it is not the visit to Cuba that is illegal, but spending money there??

AN Jim, be one with the force embrace the rebel side - see the good you will do for YOU! and Rescue Bob numerous times tomorrow night!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom