Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DudleyNMU

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK guys and gals I have a questions for you all. How many of you are great lakes divers? And how many of you always wanted to dive the great lakes but live in the spoils of florida or some other warm place? My opinion great lakes have the best diving. I personally think the great lakes has what it takes to become a dive meca like the other dive resort places offer IMO. Lemme know what you divers think.

Safe Diving.

Shouldn't this be in the form of a poll?

DudleyNMU:
I personally think the great lakes has what it takes to become a dive meca like the other dive resort places offer IMO. Lemme know what you divers think..

I think you gotta quit breaking those pills in half.

I am reminded of a black and white poster that showed a silted ships rail with some kind of dreadful mutated fishlike critter setting upon it. The caption read: Dive the Great Lakes, See the Pretty Fish

:wink:

This seems to be going the same way as a thread I have going on New England diving. Connecticut doesn't get a steady stream of Floridian divers yet, either.

DudleyNMU - I would like to hear your case for the Great Lakes, though (particularly since I am a native of Buffalo).

Well first of all the great lakes offer some of the best wreck diving in the world. Clear water and intact wrecks. I am from michigan so i have water all around me. Lake huron lake michigan and superior have great diving with countless shipwrecks many in sport diving limits and many in tec diving limits. Great little harbor towns with shops are all around. Towns like lexington and port sanilac and mackinaw and marquette alpena to name a few offer shopping camping and relaxing. There are many dive charters also on the great lakes that will run out the wrecks. The great lakes reginon is wonderfull and full of diving. Just wish if would become somthing like the tropical regions offer. Personally i like Sanilac Shores the best...Wrecks like the Regina, Mary Alice B. Up north a bit you have the dunderburg with masts still standing for over 100 years in the water. People should just come up and dive the wrecks. I think you would agree with me.

Personally, I like being warm before, during and after the dive. I've been a fireman in N.Y.C. for 25 years and wet and cold just doesn't feed the bull dog anymore. I'd love to dive wreck valley and I've read about Great Lakes diving but...
A new guy in the firehouse has 2 dry suits :confused: and has invited me to dive "dry" this spring so all this may change.

I visited the Great Lakes (UP) for the first time in September while on business, Marquette, St. Ignace, Munising, etc. The UP does have all the elements that it needs to become a great destination, good accommodations, food, attractions and lots of outdoors activities for sports-minded men and women. I dove several wrecks. Wow. Cold water was not an issue for me and staying warm before, during, and after a dive isn't an issue if you plan correctly. I think what is missing is an overall marketing strategy.

Check out the story on Michigan diving in the February issue of Scuba Diving for more details on what a great place it can be.

dry suit is a requirement for a floridian diver in a lake up north... luckly, my spring break will be spent wasting away on a liveabord dive boat off of the keys looking at "pretty" fish... kudos to the lake divers.,..

You should come see our pretty fish, we have several species of wonderful fish life, all of which are a various shade of greeny brown....fantastic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom