Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From a Canuck now living in SW Florida...the diving in Kingston and Brockville on the St. Lawrence is phenomenal. Tobermory is out of this world if you like natural wrecks...if it where a couple of hours south it would be a huge worldwide diving destination.

Cheers.

-J.-

I think the reality is that most divers don't want to bother with the extra weight, redundancy, the hood, the gloves, the drysuit, etc. to see the wrecks. Or the fact that charters aren't run like dive resorts- divers carry their own tanks, set up their own gear, and rarely is there an in-water DM or even a DM at all.

Some people might say that I am too cheap and lazy to travel someplace "nice," but I heart freshwater diving and the Great Lakes has got it going on!

I would rather dive the Great lakes and St Lawrence seaway than dive some where down south.

Hey Dudley: Greetings from Esky!
From your tag, is that Northern Michigan University you're refering to?
and about that "Dive Mecca" crack, shhhh! you'll let out the secret!

Your Right...!NMU all the way...Did lots of diving in marquette, some of the best shore diving ever in my opinion.

I love the diving we have up here. But I can see how it's not for everyone. If you want to see pretty fish don't bother coming here. But if you want to see awesome, intact wrecks, without fear of being eaten by sharks, then by all means the Great Lakes can't be beat.

Bladephotog...Great pics...Everyone should see them so they know what they are missing.

I would LOVE to dive some wrecks in the great lakes... but I don't know where to begin! It's so easy to find charters in florida and what not, but up there it's different. I don't know what's good for me to dive, what my experience need be, how advanced the wrecks are.... nothing.

first of all i would buy a good book. Great Lakes Diving Guide. Chris Cole. Also do some google searchs and you should find many chater services. My personal favorite is www.rectecdivecharters.com great dive boat. Some nice wrecks in Sanilac Shores.

Dawg Diver, there are enough Great Lakes locals around here to help point you in the right direction, depending of course upon what part of the Lakes you may be visiting. If you decide to make the trip, let us know where you are looking to go, and I'm sure you'll get plenty of help choosing wrecks and charters.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom