Wreck diving and the USS Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I only have two requirements. OW certification and a desire to get there in a fast boat, have a great two-tank time, then return before lunch.

Thanks for the props, Seadoggirl. I'm looking forward to seeing you back aboard the Y-Knot.

I'm diving her labor day, what was the temp @ your max depth?

I made the trip about 3 weeks ago and what a dive. Vis sucked the first day so we couldn't really get a good view of the wreck on the descent but on day two the vis was nearly 100 feet. What a view! The ship is massive. We did three tech dives on her so we had the chance to see the hanger deck and below. Talk about big, even with a high power HID light it's hard to see from one side to the other. We made one long deep dive on day two so we lots of time to look around. We started out at 180 FSW for 25 minutes in and below the hanger deck then moved up to the island at 130 FSW for another 15 minutes. The island still has lots of stuff to see although it's been cleaned up for divers, unlike the areas below the hanger deck which still have office equipment, chalk boards, phones and just about everything else you can think of still sitting there. Just a word of caution, don't even think of going into the hanger deck unless you're tech certified and have the gear to do it. The entrance to the hanger is at 157 FSW and while it's easy to see the exits there is a lot of junk in there to get tangled up in and below that deck it's even worse.

Have a great dive and post a report when you get back.

Oriskany Divemaster:
I only have two requirements. OW certification and a desire to get there in a fast boat, have a great two-tank time, then return before lunch.

Thanks for the props, Seadoggirl. I'm looking forward to seeing you back aboard the Y-Knot.

What type of dive times are you seeing with your typical OW divers? Just curious, I want to plan a trip up that way to do the dive. Can you give some brief details on what an average OW diver can expect on the dive (times, depths, etc).

I have my nitrox cert, but in order to make the most of the trip, what would you consider 'ideal' certs without going into tech stuff?

Tsalagi:
What type of dive times are you seeing with your typical OW divers? Just curious, I want to plan a trip up that way to do the dive. Can you give some brief details on what an average OW diver can expect on the dive (times, depths, etc).

I have my nitrox cert, but in order to make the most of the trip, what would you consider 'ideal' certs without going into tech stuff?

I can ususally get about a half hour of bottom time from most people using air with an AL80 and computer on the first dive. The second is usually 25 minutes.

We stick to a firm policy of advanced divers only unless accompanied by a divemaster. So if you want to leave me on the boat, you'll need to get your Advanced Cert and have a few (20) dives under your belt. Otherwise, invest in a divemaster to show you around. It's much more relaxing, and I can show you all the cool stuff you might miss.

Bring nitrox. Go for a 28-30 mix depending on how deep you want to go. I rarely go below 120 since you can see everything worth seeing at 110 and above.

Feel free to PM the DM if you have any further questions. I look forward to seeing you on the boat!

What's the ~temp @ 110' ?? I'm trying to gauge what suit to wear.

HoggieEater:
What's the ~temp @ 110' ?? I'm trying to gauge what suit to wear.

Mid 70s at 110. But come up ten feet and it goes to 80. A skin or 3 mil will do just fine unless you're just skin and bones.

I have a little extra padding, but not a lot and I dove a 3 mil farmer john. I was cool under the thermocline, and hot above it.

Oriskany Divemaster:
Mid 70s at 110. But come up ten feet and it goes to 80. A skin or 3 mil will do just fine unless you're just skin and bones.

Excellent,, thanks for the info..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom