Wreck diving and the USS Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ladies and Gentlemen,

My dives that were scheduled for the Oriskany Saturday were cancelled. The charter we were supposed to go out on blew its engine. The owner of my LDS and wreck instructor said he would try to get us on another charter later this month. Still waiting for my chance and the anticipation is killing me.

Ron

Well,

We chartered a boat for 3 dives on the Oriskany on Friday. Two recreational divers, and two divers doing a deeper (~150-160ft) profile. I was doing a recreational profile.

Surface current was pretty strong, and we held onto the lines to get down so we wouldn't be blown off the wreck. As it the ship comes into view, thoughts were it's HUGE. :) We swam around the island, my dive buddy (and the captain) both did a swim through, I didn't. We swam around to the windward side again and began our ascent. My mask flooded horribly on the dive frustrating me, and limiting my view of the boat. Unfortunately, after getting back on the boat, I wasn't feeling my best, so I skipped my other dives. The other three divers did their second dives, but no one opted for a third.

Visibility was good. I was in a 5mm farmer top, surface temps were 86, we had a max depth of 121ft, temps down there were about 77 degrees. If I were doing it again, I would only wear a skin.

I haven't done much boat diving, and learned some valuable lessons from this experience. I think the Oriskany is a great dive, but I think the idea of a diver being AOW is probably a good one. Experience in saltwater is also probably a good idea for this dive.

I'll do the dive again next year and hopefully have more time to spend on the wreck.

ron63:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

My dives that were scheduled for the Oriskany Saturday were cancelled. The charter we were supposed to go out on blew its engine. The owner of my LDS and wreck instructor said he would try to get us on another charter later this month. Still waiting for my chance and the anticipation is killing me.

Ron

I'm assuming you're talking about Rusty's boat, the Gulf Diver. I ran into him earlier this week at a restraunt and he told me the bad news... :( I was gonna get on his boat this month to dive the Oriskany as well. Looking elsewhere now as well.

PerroneFord:
Unfortunately, after getting back on the boat, I wasn't feeling my best, so I skipped my other dives. The other three divers did their second dives, but no one opted for a third.

The seas were up that morning, so you were amongst friends. Glad you got to go, but try not to wait until next year to come back out.

Alabama group - Down Under did not even run out to the Oriskany yesterday. They had a group of tech divers and they could not get out there. They did run today but only to the Navy Tug. Rusty said his boat wouldn't be back for 3-4 weeks. My little baby 22 ft is going out.... Rock on Sapphire Dreams! She is little but she is dependable

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom