Wreck dive in the making

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In stressful situations people act as they where trained...Or NOT trained if you will.

Flooding = water rushing in faster than it can be pumped out

Leaking = Water coming in that can be pumped out

Get a big pump or three!!

Hope they made it back ok...If not any charters going out there to the newest reef???

JahJahwarrior:
my dad jsut bought an 18 foot cat. We worked for two whole days preparing this brand new boat to take it to a local lake, with a max depthof osmething like 5 feet. Fire extinguishers (two of them) installed, two radios installed (boat had one, but we completely redid their installation), lights and extra electronics panel installed. They wired the GPS wire that send info to the radios wrong, so we rewired that and sent the signal to both radios. We found out that they miswired some bilgepumps too. When 5 miles out inthe gulf the next day, we came up to a VERY small boat (maybe 8-10 feet, a little bit bigger than a gnue, with maybe a 15 horse engine?) that had run out of gas. 5 people, none had lifevests. They had no good line for towing, no anchor, no engine. They stern light was broken, and I don't recall seeing any bow lights. no survival gear at all, no radio, no gps. The one thing they had that we didn't was a cooler with fish in it. FIVE MILES OUT!! We were heading the opposite way, but we hailed another ship heading in to tow them in. It was ridiculous, it really was. Especially since I had spent the previous two days, one of them being turkey day, hauling butt to get this new boat ready for the water. We would have given them gas, but we had no way to do it, this outboard doesn't let the fuel line disconnect like our other smaller boat, we found out.
Did you make it adamantly clear how stupid they were...?! "You idiots, you ****in idiots...!" What could they do to you, tell you to **** off while you were calling around for their help, throw a fish at you? No time to be polite; time to get their attention.

ItsBruce:
A minor digression: Who here can work a sight reduction, even if its just a noon sight?

Ay. It would take awhile, not something I do for a living.

A coastal USCG 50 ton master.

ItsBruce:
A minor digression: Who here can work a sight reduction, even if its just a noon sight?

I have/can but am severly out of practice. Sight reduction work sheets simplify the job quite a bit. With practice you can get accuracy to well below a mile (or so I was told..I NEVER did that well). Whe I was learning the rule in class is if you were ever off the actual position by more than a mile you were offically lost.

I was lost until the last weeks of the class...

Accuracy depends on your skill with a sextant, you ability to do the math, extrapolate the tables and the set of tables that you use. Ho229 is more accurate than Ho249. In the late 1800s and early 1900s survayors, using oversized sextants and special tables routinely got accuracies of 300 yards or better (read about the great triangulation survay of india).

I have only ever used the aviation tables. My sextant abilities don't deserve the additional accuracy.

rjack321:
I have only ever used the aviation tables. My sextant abilities don't deserve the additional accuracy.

These days all I have is a davis PLASTIC sextent. Even a great fix with this won't do good enough to justify the marine tables, and wont stress the avaition ones (except if you are lucky...). But I have Ho229

At one point maybe 8 years ago, I heard marketing talk that medium priced plastic was better than cheap metal since they were supposedly more dimensionally stable in temp swings. Don't know if there's any truth to that or not.

I have herd this too, but in my (limited) esperience in practice no. The plastics distort in the heat or sun too. They twist and shift, They are not thermaly conductive so they take longer to thermaly stabilize, and the differntial heating causes some stresses. They are less massy and are harder to hold steady. The slightest mistreatment distorts them too.

Even the cheapest metal i know of, the chinese Astra, is more accurate.

And the morale of the story???

Always carry a redundant, hand held GPS.

the K

Back
Top Bottom