Wreck dive in the making

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjack321:
I can't think of any system reporting coordinates in minutes, except maybe a radio direction finder fix??
My GPS and my PC software will display position in:
Degrees and fractional degrees
Degrees, minutes and fractional minutes
Degrees, minutes, and seconds

It is shocking how easy it is for a rich guy to drown his family in a 65' yacht. cathrine, your idea sound the best so far... and to consider chapstick. no guy would have ever thought of that!

rjack321:
Sometimes they ask twice for a reason and it isn't because they didn't hear the 1st time.

Given what I heard of the conversation, CG asked twice because it wasn't given.

BTW: The wax works just fine, especially when something solid is used as a backing to provide structure. In that event, it can be close to waterproof.

I have used duct tape wraped around a stick and firmly seated in the hole for a quick fix works great.

Chuck Tribolet:
My GPS and my PC software will display position in:
Degrees and fractional degrees
Degrees, minutes and fractional minutes
Degrees, minutes, and seconds

Yeah these are typical. But just to the whole minute???

Really, talking about 1/2 of a conversation someone else heard is pretty rediculous.

Peo:
A sextant can easily give a position accurate within a mile. It takes a while to get the fix, but it can definitely be done.
Easy for you, maybe, but not for me. :)

Even when taking the sightings from an 11,000 ton ship, most of my celestial fixes were >1nm error box. Rarely >4nm, but not very often less than 1 mile.

ItsBruce:
Its amazing how many boats do not have a plug for every through-hull. Who, besides me, routinely carries the wax portion of a toilet ring, to use in the event of a hole that is not neatly filled with a plug?

oh lord

yes...I know a captain that had to leave his divers on a night dive because the crank stuffing came out and he was sinking and did not have anything on board.

Charlie99:
Peo:
A sextant can easily give a position accurate within a mile. It takes a while to get the fix, but it can definitely be done.
Easy for you, maybe, but not for me. :)

Even when taking the sightings from an 11,000 ton ship, most of my celestial fixes were >1nm error box. Rarely >4nm, but not very often less than 1 mile.
Easy for the *sextant*... :D

I have twin outboards, so not many through hulls for me, but the ones I do have all have emergency shut off valves.

my dad jsut bought an 18 foot cat. We worked for two whole days preparing this brand new boat to take it to a local lake, with a max depthof osmething like 5 feet. Fire extinguishers (two of them) installed, two radios installed (boat had one, but we completely redid their installation), lights and extra electronics panel installed. They wired the GPS wire that send info to the radios wrong, so we rewired that and sent the signal to both radios. We found out that they miswired some bilgepumps too. When 5 miles out inthe gulf the next day, we came up to a VERY small boat (maybe 8-10 feet, a little bit bigger than a gnue, with maybe a 15 horse engine?) that had run out of gas. 5 people, none had lifevests. They had no good line for towing, no anchor, no engine. They stern light was broken, and I don't recall seeing any bow lights. no survival gear at all, no radio, no gps. The one thing they had that we didn't was a cooler with fish in it. FIVE MILES OUT!! We were heading the opposite way, but we hailed another ship heading in to tow them in. It was ridiculous, it really was. Especially since I had spent the previous two days, one of them being turkey day, hauling butt to get this new boat ready for the water. We would have given them gas, but we had no way to do it, this outboard doesn't let the fuel line disconnect like our other smaller boat, we found out.

Back
Top Bottom