wreck & cenote cozumel advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sorry, just messing with ya! :)

Last edited:
-is this C-58 wreck in Cozumel interesting?
-how about the cenote dives on the mainland?

thanks

I think it's called the C-53.......if we're speaking of the same, here's come pics & video of it from May '08......Click below link--all pics with sardines in them are on the wreck...also posted one of the pics from it here....

CZMMay08 pictures by GEAUXtiger - Photobucket

also a few more pics of the C-53 in my 1st link in my Sig(will have C-53 in title of the pic)--I thought it was a neat dive..
IMG_0904040-copy_edited-1.jpg

The cenotes on the mainland are not only world class cavern dives, they are probably the class of the world. The cenotes are not beginner dives. You need to be very comfortable with diving, buoyancy, and moving slowly. Here is a link to give you an idea of what you will see on cenote dives. Hidden Worlds Cenotes Park Yucatan Mexico Riviera Maya

No need to go with Hidden Worlds, they are a very good dive op btw, since most shops visit both Dos Ojos and Bat Cave as well as other cenotes on the mainland.

i see. thanks for the advice. i only have 5 dives under the proverbial belt.
-during the cenote dive are you under rock/soil as well as under water or is the water exposed to the sky?
-since the water is fresh there is no plant/animal life in the cenotes?

I actually dove that wreck dive April 30 I believe and really enjoyed it. It is an intact wreck that you can penetrate. There are several cut outs so you can exit the wreck if you feel uncomfortable or nervous. There is some current near the boat so descend on the line. Otherwise you can get blown on the opposite side of it and have to swim against the current to get back to it. There are several passage ways that lead to day light. There are a few sharp areas in the wreck that can cut you so take it slow and watch where you move your arms and legs. The passage ways are dark so take a nice bright light. There are several decks so be mindful of where you are going so that you don't get lost. I took a few pictures of the outside of the wreck and if someone can show me how to put them into this post I will gladly show you a few of them :) My strobe died during the previous night dive so I have no pics of the interior.

thanks.
so ive been told about the C-58 Anaya and the C-55 Barrera and now about this C-53 i guess. while others maintain that theres only one wreck near Cozumel and its only been submerged for a few years, not enough coral to make interesting.
im also trying to figure out where all these are, so i can decide where to stay

sardines would look delicious in tomato sauce

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

threads moved and merged

I AM USING ALL CAPS SO THERE IS NO MISTAKE.

DO NOT MISS THE CENOTES DIVE.

Let me repeat: Do Not Miss The Cenotes Dive.

I did Dos Ojos last year. It was one of my top 4 dives ever.

I had the good fortune that it was just the dive guide (required) and me. The water was the clearest I've ever seen. It is clearer than a pool. From time to time I would forget we were under water and was reminded only by our bubbles and an occasional fish. I was actually surprised by the fish because I had forgotten we were under water.

Other than entering the water, it was the most relaxing dive I've ever done. Entering the water actually frightened me. It was a giant stride off a wooden landing into the water. The drop was only about 15 inches. Easy right? My problem was that the water was so clear and still that I did not believe it was there and I figured I'd fall 25 feet to the rocky ground below. I reached down and felt the water to be sure it was there. Even so, I did not see why my inflated BCD would support me in water so clear. Needless to say, it worked just like any other water.

I am looking forward to going again. Beyond the foregoing, words fail me.

Do Not Miss The Cenotes.

(The one thing to note is that you need pretty good buoyancy control so you don't hit the ceiling or stir up the bottom.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom