WOW! Thats was quick!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluemagoo:
The only off-base shop that I recall boasted IANTD classes was Hawaii Sea Adventures. But something's up at that shop because their extensive website has gone by the boards. I know the owner (can't remember his name, help me out somebody) was into tech and had a cool Draeger rebreather. I'm going to try run by the place this weekend and see what's up.

Hawaii Sea Adventures closed a few months ago - the space where the shop was now has an "available for rent" sign in the window. Chuck had been trying to sell the place at least since 2001 - I guess he's finally moved full time to the Philippines. Let me tell you, it's been painful for me without that shop being open. I live right up the hill, and I can't tell you what a luxury it was to have them right there, by the freeway entrance/exit. Not to mention they truly had a "neighborhood shop" vibe. I've been renting my tanks somewhere else now that they've closed, but you definitely know it's "a business". Nothing wrong with that, but I miss HSA.

Jo at Island Divers is a nice guy. I didn't know Island Divers actually taught tech classes - that's good info to keep in mind.

"Chuck"! That's right! Schumack, right? Thought it was going to be one of those "aha!" things that would wake me in the middle of the night. Thanks.

Too bad they closed. Gosh, they were there from at least '87 or '88; maybe longer. Good shop. Last time I stopped by was maybe Aug or Sept last year. Rats. And with Rainbow Divers long gone from Schofield, Ocean Concepts from Waipio Gentry, and Aaron's/Ocean Concepts from Pearl City (just before the Waiau Zippy's), then there's nobody else between Sea'n'Sea or Sunshine Scuba in town until Haleiwa except maybe Dive/Sports Authority in Waikele? And it's worse out Waianae way; not counting the diversion into Campbell Industrial to Ocean Concepts there.

Island Divers Hawaii is fairly new to me. Are they different or the same with Island Divers at Hickam; I think the building's near the O-Club where the Sea Lancers are. I was sure they're different but now having second thoughts.

Bluemagoo, Are you at Schofield? Thats where Im gonna be working.

bluemagoo:
And with Rainbow Divers long gone from Schofield, Ocean Concepts from Waipio Gentry, and Aaron's/Ocean Concepts from Pearl City (just before the Waiau Zippy's), then there's nobody else between Sea'n'Sea or Sunshine Scuba in town until Haleiwa except maybe Dive/Sports Authority in Waikele?

Island Divers Hawaii is fairly new to me. Are they different or the same with Island Divers at Hickam; I think the building's near the O-Club where the Sea Lancers are. I was sure they're different but now having second thoughts.

There's an Ocean Concepts at Pearl Harbor - down the road from the Arizona Memorial. The shop opened last year, I think. This is the place I've been picking my tanks up from. The Dive Authority in Waikele doesn't rent tanks (though the one on Ward does) - so dive shops within a 20 minute drive to where I live are limited to one. :)

Island Divers Hawaii is the same as the shop at Hickam. Sometime last year they opened shop there - they've really grown quickly. Used to be a smaller operation with just the "clubhouse" in Waikiki - now they're a larger, more organized operation. Still bunch of great guys, but not really the small informal dive club feeling like before.

bluemagoo:
"Chuck"! That's right! Schumack, right? Thought it was going to be one of those "aha!" things that would wake me in the middle of the night.

And yeah, I think it was Schumack. Chuck was a nice guy - very friendly, very enthusiastic about diving.

Wildcard:
Bluemagoo, Are you at Schofield? Thats where Im gonna be working.

No, Kaimuki actually. Built a house about 6yrs ago. Was living in Waikele area previously for about 15yrs and diving like a madman with Waianae and North Shore spots so close -- now, pickin's is slim on the east end of Oahu :sad: That's ok tho' -- closer to work (10min), honey-do's up to the eyeballs to secure the house, and closer access to Ala Moana for plain 'ole regular swimming.

Leaving in five hours and I just HAVE to dive this weekend. I'll be in Waikiki and rideless. Anybody wanna help me get over my warm water withdraws?

Wildcard:
Leaving in five hours and I just HAVE to dive this weekend. I'll be in Waikiki and rideless. Anybody wanna help me get over my warm water withdraws?

Sorry, but I'm leaving tonight for California. I'll be back on the 14th and will probably try to get some dives in on the north shore that coming weekend, though.

well you should be here by now...Aloha and Welcome to Oahu Brian!

The bad news, I wish I had time over the weekend to go diving....

justleesa:
well you should be here by now...Aloha and Welcome to Oahu Brian!

The bad news, I wish I had time over the weekend to go diving....
Im here! Thanks. FOund one of my old dive buddies from MAui here for tomorrows dive. Can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom