Wow, really cold water for dive 100...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikemill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So mikemikethepike invited me out to New Millennium Dive Expeditions' first training of the year on Saturday up at Lake Tahoe. Like a silly bastard I took him up on it. I didn't know at the time that I would be sitting at dive 99 since my return.

My 100th dive was in 43 degree water doing drills :D

We get up there, do our introductions, go over the training goals for the day (dust off cobwebs and just getting experience), and gear up. Getting into the water I knew it'd be a fun day, especially with my gloves that need replacement (at least two holes in the seams on each hand). While waiting for the last few divers to get in the water I put my face in the water, sans reg, and think it wasn't too bad.

Michael and I pair up and drop. Immediately I get taken to brain freeze central. Once that clears we kick out to an open area and start doing drills. Michael went first with the basic 5 (reg remove/replace, reg swap, mod s, partial flood/clear, mask remove/replace). Then it comes my turn. First three were no problem. Then I moved to the partial flood/clear which I usually do as a complete flood/clear. OMFG! That cold water hit my face and the mammalian diving reflex kicked in like a freight train. I could barely keep my eyes open and had to really fight to breath out. I get the mask clear, get by position back under control and prepare myself for the next drill. Pull the mask off and it was a little better. Still had to fight to breath out and really couldn't keep my eyes open very much. Got the mask back on and cleared it.

At this point my hands and toes and numb so I signal for us to kick a bit and a minute later the bastard pops a OOA drill on me. He got his air but due to positioning and not having my drysuit dialed in for those conditions (cold + freshwater [so weighting was off]) I got sent to the surface. Gotta work on that.

We kicked around some more, did another set of drills, kicked around some more, and then I called on account of cold wuss.

Was a great day and a lot of fun. Next time I'm bringing the dry gloves I have.

Dude,

Sounds chilly and just a taste of what Kathy is to expect up North when she dives with TS&M...

Congrats on dive 100!

(Good thinking on wearing your drysuit rather than your birthday suit.)

Congratulations on your 100th dive.

When diving waters colder than 45f we always kiss water before the dive. For this you submerge your face into the water without the mask for half a minute breathing out of your backup.
Then replace your mask and go down. When you have your mask removed later you do not experience the shock, your face is prepared. With temperatures approaching mid-lower 30th it is in fact becoming a serious safety consideration as if you do not do the kissing you can have some difficulties breathing when you get the shock in case of accidental mask removal underwater.

Last time I did mask removal on our Christmas dive in 36F water. I had a serious leak and had to take my mask of and re-seat it completely. As I did the kissing in the beginningI have not experienced any kind of shock at that time and it was no much different than doing it in warmer waters.

I am glad you had fun. :chuckle: I can tell you that was my first time removing my mask in such cold water and it was a REAL shock. I think that we will stick to the basic three from now on.

Congrats on Dive 100! and thanks for coming out with me.

Congrats Mike! You have me beat we only reached 44F in Washington & I stopped at a mask flood drill which was intense enough ;-).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom