Wow, really cold water for dive 100...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Girly Girl!!!!

I dove up there for three days and loved every minute of it, It was no differant for me then diving Nor-Cal!!:idk:

In my teams defense, they were doing their drills in 43-44 degrees of very cold frigid waters... :D

I can only fathom what they felt, let's say bbbbrraaain fffffreeezzzzeeee!!!

So did I, and your team has to have one too freeze it!!:D

Wow, Jim

I am impessed, I didn't know you were doing a class and removed your mask...:confused: I think that is awesome that you have a higher resiliance to the cold than my two warm water wimps, just kidden guys... :kiss2: The kiss is for you Kathy, and :wink: is for Miller...

Wow, Jim

I am impessed, I didn't know you were doing a class and removed your mask...:confused: I think that is awesome that you have a higher resiliance to the cold than my two warm water wimps, just kidden guys... :kiss2: The kiss is for you Kathy, and :wink: is for Miller...

I am a no fear god to diving cold water.......:D

Hey Ernst,

I was thinking about why you might be warmer than my diving buddies, could it be your mustache keeps you warmer than the average diver?

This idea occured to me after I watched this video:

The guy that has the hard hat, reminds me a lot of your mustache, and then I thought you'd be warmer. This video even talks about skin divers having fun in the Navy.

I came so close to joining the Navy and serving our country, kinda of wish I would've gone, maybe I would have gotten a chance to dive colder frigid waters of Japan or Atlantic coast.

Don't know if those waters would have been as cold as Mike got with 43 degrees, but hey it would've been a chance to have grown out my facial feature and been like the Village People, just darn Masculine and all the ladies would want me. :)

Girly Girl!!!!

I dove up there for three days and loved every minute of it, It was no differant for me then diving Nor-Cal!!:idk:

Temp changes durring the year, we were at very desolate, overcast dive spots - the only divers. I guess not all love that cold water :D.

I enjoyed the diving but happy to head back to 53F water in Monterey today ;-).

Congratulations on your 100th dive Mike :D That is a crazy amount in a year. I know I didn't get in close to that many this past year.

When diving waters colder than 45f we always kiss water before the dive. For this you submerge your face into the water without the mask for half a minute breathing out of your backup.

I would NOT recommend doing this if the air temperature is anywhere even close to freezing. The first stage exposed to the air can not stay warm enough and it could cause a free flow, even at a later time. People that dive in colder conditions will tell you to not even breathe off your regs until your first stage is underwater. Yes that means forgoing a pre-dive reg check on dry land.

I would NOT recommend doing this if the air temperature is anywhere even close to freezing. The first stage exposed to the air can not stay warm enough and it could cause a free flow, even at a later time. People that dive in colder conditions will tell you to not even breathe off your regs until your first stage is underwater. Yes that means forgoing a pre-dive reg check on dry land.

Nothing is going to happen to your first stage unless you have water in it (we assume your have a sealed reg). So if it free flowed at that stage within your 30 seconds breathing it's a good indication you should not be going into the water with that reg. If you have water inside your reg it will freeze in those temperatures no matter if you have air surrounding it or it's water.

Not breathing out of the reg on the surface is not done not because the first stage is not submerged yet but because the moisture you introduce into the second stage breathing it will make it free flow. This is why you cannot perform full pre-dive check on the dry land. And you do it before going for the dive. First kissing water you check your backup. Then when you go down you switch to your primary while underwater and check it as well - at that point you know your backup is working. Even if your backup cooled down while you are making those couple of breaths kissing the water it will warm up in no time when you switch to your backup reg (again assuming the person diving in those conditions dives redundant rig). At no point while breathing out the SECOND stage should be out of the water once it was submerged as it will cause it`s freezing.

The problem you describe will happen with not sealed reg which is not even worth considering for those conditions.

We do this procedures all the time with outside temps lower 0C.

Mike G, thanks for the video. That's the first time I've seen it as an adult, looks totally different to me now than when it first came out.

The problem you describe will happen with not sealed reg which is not even worth considering for those conditions..

Not all of us dive sealed regs and still dive cold surface conditions. A word of caution never hurts does it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom