Would you skip out on jury duty if you had an expensive dive trip planned?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AllenG:
I once got called for jury duty two weeks before an overseas dive trip. When I was brought in before the judge and counsels to determine my availability for a three-week trial (GASP!!) and voir dire, I matter of factly spoke of an overseas trip that I had already paid for. The judge gave a suspicious stare at me, suggesting that this was a regular ploy in his court. Fortunately, I had brought the tickets with me! Moments later, I was released from jury duty. The foresight of bringing the tickets saved my trip!

This make a lot of sense.

Lots of jurisdictions allow a "deferral". Both my wife and I have used this when we were at our summer or winter homes when called for jury duty. In Santa Clara county, California, it was up to 6 month deferral, and relatively automatic (check a box on the form, IIRC).

A coworker claims his standard technique was to answer during voi dire "of course I think they are guilty, or otherwise the police wouldn't have arrested them".

Digging through the archives again David? This thread is so dusty even the moths wouldn't touch it....LOL

Firefyter:
Digging through the archives again David? This thread is so dusty even the moths wouldn't touch it....LOL
:11: Who me? :D

In Monroe County, New York, you are allowed to postpone serving. You can't postpone a second time.

Back
Top Bottom