Would you share your PDC data?

Would you share your PDC data?

• Yes

Votes: 67 80.7%
  • No

Votes: 16 19.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So true! But I only toured the BeNeLux, I never skied there! :rofl3:
If youre ever able to ski there on anything but rollerskies, please do let me know :rofl3:

It seems like some people are more interested in criticizing other people and their choice than answering the OP's question and worrying about their own choice. . . I'm just sayin'.

I dont think anybody is criticizing anybody. It is just a choice not to share data. If you want to, go ahead. I just not gonna do it. You can do what ever you want. It appears perhaps you are criticizing others for their choice. I didn't say it was in any way foolish all I said was I wouldn't do it.

Yes I am, but it has nothing to do with you answering. I like my life, so I'm a normally happy person anyway.:D

It just seems that all of this effort in criticizing others people's choice and then the defense of that choice, has little to do with helping a fellow SB'er answer their question.

And all of the effort you put in to criticizing my criticism. Was it worth it? Do you feel empowered with the power of the internet?

I dont think anybody is criticizing anybody. It is just a choice not to share data. If you want to, go ahead. I just not gonna do it. You can do what ever you want. It appears perhaps you are criticizing others for their choice. I didn't say it was in any way foolish all I said was I wouldn't do it.
You might want to go back and read my posts, starting on page one. It won't take you long to figure-out where I stand. And there most certainly has been criticism, of not only the choice not to want to give-up the info, but, the people that stated that was their choice.

And all of the effort you put in to criticizing my criticism. Was it worth it? Do you feel empowered with the power of the internet?
Huh? Do I feel empowered with the what of the who? What are you even talking about?

It seems like a lot of paranoid people - some of whom use their real names as part of their ScubaBoard id's? I'm just sayin.

See post #43

Yes I am, but it has nothing to do with you answering. I like my life, so I'm a normally happy person anyway.:D

It just seems that all of this effort in criticizing others people's choice and then the defense of that choice, has little to do with helping a fellow SB'er answer their question.

:):):):):):):) I'm a happy person, too. See? :):):):):):)

I just am looking for the real value in doing this and no one has made that clear yet. Since this started I've taken a skeptical position, granted. It's fair and is the customary thing to do when deciding any endeavor, in business proposals, politics and, especially, in scientific research just to name a few. I pointed out these observations....This appears to me to be a collection of data taken by an unrepresentative sample of the diving community (only those who are willing to provide it, not a randomly selected group from the entire population), taken with a collection of instruments whose accuracy can't be traced to any standard and haven't been calibrated since they left the factory, to provide a limited set of actual data and another set of "derived" data whose derivation methodology hasn't been explained, to reach conclusions about divers in general and is, therefore, something that could effect us all, participating or not. And that effect could include legal consequenses, though not highly probable but real just the same. (That's not paranoia, it's fact.) So, why are we doing this? If a serious Principle Investigator were to propose such an experiment it wouldn't pass a peer review in a sixth-grade Biology class. So....Can someone please provide an explanation of why this is worth doing and, if you can, I'll plug right in.

I could be wrong....but I'm still happy and paranoia-free....see? :):):):):):):)

Can someone please provide an explanation of why this is worth doing and, if you can, I'll plug right in.

It's kinda like giving input on SB.... or drawing conclusions from others input on SB....

kinda

You might want to go back and read my posts, starting on page one. It won't take you long to figure-out where I stand. And there most certainly has been criticism, of not only the choice not to want to give-up the info, but, the people that stated that was their choice.

Sorry, I misinterpreted your post.

Improving the software and algorithm....I'm still having a hard time seeing how this data is going to do that. My computer's algorithm is based on the NOAA tables which were created after extensive, controlled scientific studies. This is nowhere near that sophisticated so there's going to be no improvement provided that will change those tables. I can't see it but if you can please explain. What I do see is a collection of data that is intended to reveal diver's habits...what are they doing when they are diving. Are they sticking to the rules, following the profile recommendations, etc. That's behavior not physiology. The only result, therefore, that could come out of this data is more cautions on bad behavior. And, maybe, more rules forced upon you to govern your behavior as a diver. But nothing that's going to change those scientifically-based tables that the computers run on.

You'll note I refered to VPlanner and its data upload; not the DAN project.

The dive profile is generated from the VPM-B model, then, dove by a segment of the diving population more skilled than average at holding depth, ascent/descent rates, and deco stops.

Also, these divers are usually more knowledgable than the norm in evaluating the results. Look at the feedback requested:

VPMexport.jpg

Because the data is harvested from only this deco model, and carefully dove, it is more applicable than most; this makes it a good candidate for spotting general trends.

...Still, it's indicative of the potential benefits in data collecting. I can think of many potential investigations that would benefit the community.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom