Would you pay $150 for a used PST LP95 w/current vis/hydro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GaryBDavis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A local shop is selling PST LP95 tanks for $150. The hydros are plus rated and are 2008 or 2009 with a current vis.

I'm vaguely aware of the PST special exemption thing and understand there is some risks of not being able to get hydros in the future.

So, a decent deal or pass?

Secondary question. I have a really nice, commercial grade sandblast cabinet and I do my fair share of sandblasting and painting. Any issues with sandblasting the outsides of tanks and repainting them? I plan to use a cold galvanize paint.

Descent price for the cylinders. These cylinders are not the exempt series as they are LP cylinders so no worries on hydros. As for the blasting, you want to use walnut shells or something that has no chance of removing metal.

So is it the HP PST tanks that have the exemption DOT issue? Oh, and they are actually $125.

No, the PST tanks with the expired exemption (I think it's been renewed) you're talking about are the SP (3442 PSI) tanks. The LP95 is a 3AA spec tank, no problem getting it tested. I would not sandblast and re-paint, I strongly suspect the tanks are already galvanized. If you like LP95s, and many people do, this is a good deal. Where's andice TX?

Andice is just northwest of Austin. The tanks are yellow in the pic so perhaps they have been painted over the galvanized coating?

no, but that's because they're heavier than my beloved fabers. or at least the ones i had were. geez, they were heavy.

Dont sandblast the tanks. I have been told that it will cause damage to the cylinder. The story I was told it will heat it up and cause problems later on. I dont understand how it can heat them up more than them being filled with air. I dont know what it will do to the tanks later. But I do know you can use a scotch brite to lightly scuff the surface and apply ZRC to the tanks. That is what Worthington or XS Scuba uses on them. It is a zinc coating below is a link to their website.

ZRC Worldwide

Andice is just northwest of Austin. The tanks are yellow in the pic so perhaps they have been painted over the galvanized coating?

That's very possible, PST used to do that with LP72s. I'll be up in austin this weekend, I'd be happy to take a look if you'd like. Just send me a PM. Those tanks are a bit too negative for me, but overall LP95s are popular tanks and trim well for a lot of divers. I generally use really small tanks for local diving.

I'm picking up a couple of them tomorrow (thanks for the offer). I made a deal to have them O2 cleaned and install the specific DIN valves I want. I'm switching to a BP/W setup so I'm hoping these will have just the right negative buoyancy to streamline my rig without additional weights. The tank is heavier than my old AL80 - probably by about as much lead as I was packing in my BCD. So here's to hoping it's an even trade off. Still, I have to get a tank carrying strap to get it from the car to the water or maybe a cart dolly!

My regular dive buddy averages about 15cu ft more air left in his tank than I do, so this should even things out in that department. :)

Back
Top Bottom