Would you pay $150 for a used PST LP95 w/current vis/hydro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dont sound like a bad deal to me. The yellow would probably have to go somehow. They are heavy but you knew that already. I personally dont like 8 inch tanks as singles but doubled up their ok. Traded my 95's for 85's a while back and while I gave up some gas, they are so nice. Basically same size and weight as an aluminum 80, but can hold 3600 psi easily. Cave fills rule!:D

Damn! I wish I was in Texas. Those are $300 tanks. I have two that are great for singles diving. I supply them to students for the deep dive in my AOW classes. Pumped up to 3000 psi they are 108's. If it weren't for some other stuff I had going on I'd ask you to pick up two of them for me and ship em. Crap.

Reactions: Jax
If it turns out they are galvanized under paint like my PST LP72s, you can do what I did; strip the paint off with regular paint stripper, you won't believe how easy it comes off, but try to leave as much of the galvanized finish underneath as possible. The stripper also attacks the galvanizing, but not nearly as quickly so you just work fast, get the old paint off, and wash the tank down. Then you can lightly sand, really lightly, to clean up the galvanized surface, then coat with ZRC galvilite. I used the spray cans and went through an entire can for each tank, applying a few thin coats. You can also get a quart of the stuff and roll it on; that's probably what I'd do next time, or at least use a pro spray gun. I would not bother with any other type of finish, and I'd only do it if the original paint is in really bad shape, like it was on my tanks.

That's pretty much exactly what I'm planning on doing. I've used serveral different brands of cold galvanizing paint including ZRC. I use the stuff to touch up any galvanized parts I have to weld on around the farm. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Just got back from picking up two. There was a guy just leaving that had purchased two. These were rental tanks and mine had three hydro dates on it (last was 09), so they are old, but LP steels are supposed to never die. :wink:

Me thinks they will go fast.

Got my tanks repainted this weekend. Here are some pics. All done by hand (no power tools, sand blasting, etc). Took about 2 to 3 hours per tank. The tanks are galvanized underneath the yellow paint, so I basically removed the yellow paint to reveal the original galvanized coating. I sprayed on a thin coat of bright cold galvanized paint, but probably could have left them in their unfinished state. I used some off the shelf paint stripper, hand scraper and some 220 grit sand paper. Considering these appear to have been rental tanks since they were born in 94, they are in pretty good shape. Now back to the LDS for an O2 cleaning, new Dive Rite modular valves and I'm ready to roll.

Attachments

• 2011 - Scuba Tank PST LP95 9_resize.jpg
    2011 - Scuba Tank PST LP95 9_resize.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 2011 - Scuba Tank PST LP95 1_resize.jpg
    2011 - Scuba Tank PST LP95 1_resize.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 2011 - Scuba Tank PST LP95 2_resize.jpg
    2011 - Scuba Tank PST LP95 2_resize.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 82
  • 2011 - Scuba Tank PST LP95 3_resize.jpg
    2011 - Scuba Tank PST LP95 3_resize.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 2011 - Scuba Tank PST LP95 4_resize.jpg
    2011 - Scuba Tank PST LP95 4_resize.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 2011 - Scuba Tank PST LP95 5_resize.jpg
    2011 - Scuba Tank PST LP95 5_resize.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 2011 - Scuba Tank PST LP95 6_resize.jpg
    2011 - Scuba Tank PST LP95 6_resize.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 98
  • 2011 - Scuba Tank PST LP95 7_resize.jpg
    2011 - Scuba Tank PST LP95 7_resize.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 2011 - Scuba Tank PST LP95 8_resize.jpg
    2011 - Scuba Tank PST LP95 8_resize.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 96
You did a good job refinishing those tanks.

Looks Good. What name brand zinc spray did you use? I seen a can in pic. number 6 but could not make out the name brand. I use ZRC but would be willing to use another name brand if it saves me some money. Also where did you buy it?

Looks Good. What name brand zinc spray did you use? I seen a can in pic. number 6 but could not make out the name brand. I use ZRC but would be willing to use another name brand if it saves me some money. Also where did you buy it?

Aervoe Industries is the brand. Premium 7008 is the product name. I like this cold galvanizing paint because it gives a slightly more bright finish than ZRC. I had three different brands of galvanizing paint on the table when I took the pics that were left over from fencing projects so that may have not been the can I use for this project.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom