what is proper value range for used PST HP 80s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jono Fish

Registered
Reaction score
I find myself with a couple of PST HP 80s in very good condition that I really don't need. Of course its a given that the only true value of these tanks is what someone is actually ready to pay when you are ready to sell. Thought I would ask those with more knowledge than what I have for their opinions:

It seems like there are 4 key variables when pricing used tanks:
1) Of course price is a biggie
2) Condition: in-hydro and current visual inspection worth more than not. Is this a $50 variable? A $100 variable or a must have in the used tank market? Visual condition of outside of tank seems to have some minor value
3) Location: Seems like this is very important as cost to ship heavy tanks can add up. What do you think, even with a great price and condition if across the country price and condition won't matter much?
4) Size / material: are steel tanks more desirable than aluminum in the used tank market? Are 60, 80, 100, 120 more desirable in the used tank market?

So for me, after my research I put $250 value on used PST HP 80s in hydro/visual current. Listed here on ScubaBoard and getting no bites. So is it more my price? or more my location? that is not attracting attention. Curious what those with more experience would advise on the value of these in the used tank market?

MFG / capacity: PST 80
Outer Diameter: 7.25
Length without valve: 19.75
Empty weight: 28.6
Buoyancy empty: -3.3
Buoyancy full: -9.3
DIN Sherwood 6300 valves
DOT-E9791-3500 TP5250

Thanks for advice

I just bought a used galvanized one in hydo and vip with pro valves, either yoke or din, from a local dive shop for $150. I thought it was a good buy, it was cheaper than new AL80's. $250 seems pretty high to me. I like steel tanks a lot more than aluminum. They do still have another one for sale for the same price also.

Depends on area and tank size a lot.

Up here steel tanks have big demand. With that said steel 80's not as much because of there size (don't fit a lot of people well). 120's also don't do as well. Steel 100's though are the most popular and tend to sell for higher used.

PST HP80s are also kind of a unique breed. Manifolds if someone were looking to double them up are expensive, they’re extremely short, you’re not going to walk out of too many places with a cold 3500psi fill. $150ish? Depending on the area.

I sold the two I had in hydro for 125 each and was happy to get it. I have one left that only gets used in the pool because I can fill it myself and get an actual HP fill. I bought them before I knew better from my OW instructor. One of the worst purchases I made. They are fine if you are really short. But some places seem to not get that they are HP and only fill to 3000 PSI which makes them a 70. The buoyancy characteristics are not as good a steel 72 for me.
I wouldn't pay more than 100 bucks for one now if I was feeling generous. I'd take LP 72's over them any day and pay the same price and not worry about getting full fills.

Thanks guys, this is the kind of input I was looking for. By the way is there a better/worse season for selling used tanks? Is the more demand in the Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter?

I'm trying to buy a pair of 100's but I don't want the small thread, seems those are the only ones for sale lately. If you have that kind your price probably will have to be lower.

I may even consider HP 80 but with the right size thread. I don't want to have two set of spare valves.

To clarify im referring to the neck of the tank, seems that what I see is narrow necks with 300 bar valves. Not sure what's the actual diameter.

OP, just to give you an idea for comparison purposes - a new Faber galvanized HP80 is $299 at DGX.

I love mine, but I wouldn’t be buying a PST due to valve differences.

There is one for sale at my local dive shop, in hydro for another year, for $100.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom