Would You Move Just So You Could Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were in this situation a few years ago. Living full time in Vermont ~3 hours to the coast in Maine for mediocre (at best) diving and wanting to be someplace we could more fully explore our goals. Luckily my job is such that I can live anywhere in the world so long as there's access to an airport. We picked southern California (which to my mind has some absolutely world class diving) and now split our time about 80/20 in favor of CA.

Life is good.

You may not agree with me about Cozumel (another thread), but we both agree about California diving. Anacapa and San Clemente islands are some of my favorite dive sites EVER.

You should see some of the WWII destroyers that are deep on the outside of San Clemente. Unbelievable wrecks.
UB88 - The Lost Submarine
I work in Southern California Aerospace Industry, 9 to 12 hours a day, sometimes all seven days of the week for nearly a month straight. If all goes well and units delivered on time, I take the rest of the Quarter off and blow all my Overtime earnings on overseas tropical Scuba trips to SE Asia & Oceania/Micronesia exploring Indo-Pacific WWII shipwrecks.
icosm14.gif

. . .Of all the technological breakthroughs made in Los Angeles during the Cold War — the laser, the first supersonic jet fighter, the Apollo moon ship, stealth aircraft, the space shuttle, the intercontinental ballistic missile system and much else — the creation of a communications satellite has had the largest and most enduring cultural, social and economic impact. . .

But for a "normal" workweek with a weekend off, I try for at least a mainland beach dive if I can't make it out to Catalina or the Channel Islands:
. .Los Angeles County, the Birthplace of Recreational Scuba: where you can snowboard/ski in Winter Mountain Wilderness; then turn back around to swim, surf & night dive in Kelp Forests at Mainland Beaches; and finally come home to Suburbia with a perfect Mediterranean Climate --all done within either a span of 12 hrs, or a leisurely paced Weekend. . . !

http://www.diveboat.com/map_of_great_escape_dive_destinations.shtml

Last edited:
UB88 - The Lost Submarine
I work in Southern California Aerospace Industry, 9 to 12 hours a day, sometimes all seven days of the week for nearly a month straight. If all goes well and units delivered on time, I take the rest of the Quarter off and blow all my Overtime earnings on overseas tropical Scuba trips to SE Asia & Oceania/Micronesia exploring Indo-Pacific WWII shipwrecks.
icosm14.gif

But for a "normal" workweek with a weekend off, I try for at least a mainland beach dive if I can't make it out to Catalina or the Channel Islands:

http://www.diveboat.com/map_of_great_escape_dive_destinations.shtml

I was thinking of the USS Squaw, Burns, Vammen and Hopewell.

Those wrecks sound interesting... but if I am going to dive real WWII wrecks, I am going to NC again. For me, the history of those wrecks is more of an attraction. Most of them also are in recreational depth which is necessary for me. My husband is a tech diver however.
I would rather go diving in Calif in the kelp forests, looking for nudies and interesting small critters, batrays, octopus, eels, and such. I am more into the fishlife, so staying shallower is where I want to be.

What an interesting thread... My boyfriend and I picked up diving 2 years ago and absolutely fell in love with it. Still spring chickens with the sport though.... About 30 dives. We got certified in Thailand and went back twice because we loved it so much. We dove in eastern canada (we live in Montreal) and while we enjoyed it, it just didn't compare to the tropical diving of Thailand.

My boyfiend and I decided this year to sell everything we have and move to Thailand. We thankfully have nothing tying us here (no children, no house and no serious career jobs) so we figured we may as well give island living a try. We will be moving to Koh Tao, Thailand this January - a place we adore. We look forward to dropping this western lifestyle and try something simple for a change. We will see how it goes :)

What an interesting thread... My boyfriend and I picked up diving 2 years ago and absolutely fell in love with it. Still spring chickens with the sport though.... About 30 dives. We got certified in Thailand and went back twice because we loved it so much. We dove in eastern canada (we live in Montreal) and while we enjoyed it, it just didn't compare to the tropical diving of Thailand.

My boyfiend and I decided this year to sell everything we have and move to Thailand. We thankfully have nothing tying us here (no children, no house and no serious career jobs) so we figured we may as well give island living a try. We will be moving to Koh Tao, Thailand this January - a place we adore. We look forward to dropping this western lifestyle and try something simple for a change. We will see how it goes :)

Yes, the rat race gets extremely old sometimes! I sometimes get swept away with the idea of ditching it all for a simpler was of life. I'm not brave enough to do so yet, but there are many who have done so and have never looked back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom