• Yes, definitely

Votes: 149 64.2%
  • Don't know

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Always buy used and never buy new!!!

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luckily, the seller of the tank was fairly decent and sent me a partial refund - price I paid minus the charges e-bay charged him. Sellers don't get the full amount buyers pay on e-bay. Apparently, his friend had responded to my queries about the tank (incorrectly), so there was much confusion.

As far as e-bay protection goes, there is none. If you want to give someone negative feedback, that person must be a registered user. The seller in my case de-registered himself before I could post any negative feebback. And e-bay only provides any kind of refunds if sellers are registered users. There's all sorts of limitations and rules - read the small print. People can de-register themselves anytime they want, and probably just register again later under some other name, I guess. Anyhow, I won't buy anything on e-bay. It's just too risky. If someone has something good to sell, why can't they sell it locally? Also, as far as ratings go, people can "sell" items to friends who give them terrific ratings, when no transaction actually occurred. There's all sorts of scams going on.

I ended up buying two awesome used tanks (1999) steel Faber 72's through my local dive shop. They are black and have white SCUBAPRO lettering on them. They belonged to one of the instructors. Like new. I'm very pleased with them, and if there was any problem, I know my shop will back up the sale.

Hi shadow I am a avid ebay buyer!
I have yet to see used tanks at great prices!!
I think the best way to find tanks cheep is to ask around.
You know oh I used to dive. First thing I ask is you still got your tanks? My farther has even had people give him 2 tanks(old 72s same as one you looked at) Yard sales are good for finding tanks to. You can find tanks for under 50 dollars all the time.
Rick L

Hi Ari,
i got my ST tank used from Shva. It is like buying a car in Israel. Do the pre-check with someone you know, that can inspect the tank from the inside. Check when was the last presure test (it has to be done every 5 years).
If you buy ST, you will have to check it (or even clean it) annually.

sasha

PS: I love my 12L ST, in spite that it is longer then average

used tanks is about the only used gear i would buy.

need to do a little checking on it first
steel tank, look inside for rust pits, check hydro, and vip

aluminuim
hydro, vip, oxidation under the paint etc.

the only thing I have bought worth while [scuba related] on eBay is my OMS 112's with issolation manifold and bands, pluss all the misc hard wear. for $800.00 canadian. all of it brand new in the factory wrapping etc.

How big acctually are 15L tanks? compared to say AL80?

"I agree with most of the things said about ebay. There is no protection from ebay if you get hosed. Althought most sellers are honest, some are not and will get away with fraud so easy. It is only a matter of time before a class action is brought against ebay." my opionion of course.

(2) steel HP80's off Ebay. $330.00 with crossover manifold, etc..
They both passed vis, and due for HYDRO next year. I probably should have had them HYDRO'd right away..... but the tanks look to be in really good shape. Hopefully they will pass hydro. Likely they will, from the way they look (taken care of).

I think that is a pretty nice deal for (2) steel 80's with valves and crossover. Oh.... and he included the bands also.

I have 4 AL 80's, 3 of which are used, in excellent condition and purchased for between $35 an $50 at garage sales. I did buy a new one at my LDS when they had a sale. I have yet to see any tank go for a "good" price on eBay but I bought my 13 cf pony for $90 there.

Back
Top Bottom