• Yes, definitely

Votes: 149 64.2%
  • Don't know

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Always buy used and never buy new!!!

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ari

Reaction score
Can save money but also has some shortcomings.

What would you check?

How old is too old?

Any difference between used AL and used ST (other than the known differences between AL and ST)?

Ari :)

I wasn't paying $280-$350 for a new steel tank when I could buy a second hand one made in 1993 with a Dive Rite H valve for $50 :)

It was out of hydro which was a gamble, but was externally rust free and showed little signs of use. Kind of like buying a second hand car - some are bombs, some are bargains. It's in for hydro this weekend.

If it's in hydro and a recent vis, sure. Tanks are pretty tough. If it's out of vis/hydro, how about making this deal, you pay for hydro/vis and if it passes you take it. The owner has nothing to loose and for about $12 -$25 which you are going to have to pay anyway, you get a known good tank. I am assuming the rules are about the same in Israel.

By the way, when you coming to my area?

Used aluminum tank, $50-$100
Hydro, $40-$50
Total: $50-$150

New tank, $140 online delivered to my doorstep or $180 at my LDS with 30 free fills included...
Total: $140-$180

Would I buy a used tank? Probably not. They last a long time, so it's a good investment. I feel the same about regs.

That's just me though...

AL 80... $35
Hydro... $8
EOI... $.25
Total... $43.25

Sure I would do it! Again and again!

NetDoc,
From now on I'll buy used tanks, send them to you for the hydro's etc and pay for the return shipping as well...

Where on Earth can you get a hydro for $8?

Two AL80 used that I got:

About $60 each = $120
Hydro, vis, & fill $30 each = $60
Total = $180

Two new that I bought after this:

$140 each included one fill
Total = $280

I saved $100 which can be used for a lot of other things.

Later, Hawk.

I just bought a used AL80 at my LDS for $80.
Fresh hydro (the LDS is a hydro station), fresh VIP, and full of air.

No risk, no muss, no fuss.

Yes, I would have liked to get my prefered color but then I would have had to pay $40 more and wait for delivery. :D

michael

Hey Netdoc,

Did Kevin do your hydro?

michael

They are off of John Young where it crosses I-4. He knows his stuff and is VERY good. You don't have to charge a lot for each one when you are as busy as he is. Not sure of the Bloke's name.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom