• Yes, definitely

Votes: 149 64.2%
  • Don't know

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Always buy used and never buy new!!!

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got about $50 each in two out of hydro tanks. Got them cheap and rolled the dice on them passing. My last new tank was $140, I feel better about the used ones.

I went with steel LP 80's because of the bouyancy difference and the nightmare stories everyone has read about aluminum tanks lately.

They are from Pressed Steel Co with a working pressure of 2400+ (2640) They were new in the box with a hydro of 11/02 & oxygen clean. Got them for around $150 each. Comparable in price to 80 aluminum give or take $20.

Is there ANY advantage to aluminium tanks - especially older tanks. Very curious why? Figuring in the cost of hydros & vip's wouldn't buying new tanks every 10 to 15 years be safer & more cost effective?? :confused:

Interesting. So they're still 80 cubic feet of air under less pressure. Do you get the same dive time? BTW...I am currently selling both of the aluminum tanks and am going to invest in another tank. Do you have a number for the place you purchased from?

1Scubanewbie once bubbled...
Interesting. So they're still 80 cubic feet of air under less pressure. Do you get the same dive time?

80 cubic feet is 80 cubic feet :D Steel tanks are just a little shorter then aluminum + steel is always nutral bouyant.

Comes down to if you prefer paper or plastic for your groceries.:mean:

With the prices of new tanks via the net I would probably not purchase used unless I knew the person I was buying from.

I know a few guys that do the same:

When the Hydro test is getting closer they just trade in the tank for a newer one with a certification. Naturally this makes sense in case that the Hydro cost is high. For 12 $ I'd stay with my old, loved tank.

Ari :)

I was at my local dive shop last week whtn this guy comes in with a tank he had just bought from his friend for $100.00, out of VIs and hydro. The tank was old 1984 Luxfer AL 80 tank of the questionable Alloy. Sitting on the sales floor were brand new AL 80 Catalina selling for $109.00.

Yup, he got a real bargain. I checked back this week, there sat the tank, did not pass inspection, somthing about neck cracks.

Some friend. Selling a tank that old for $9.00 less than a brand new one.

Redshoerider once bubbled...
Ok, I've got a 50 cent question for you all. On the HazMat squad where I work, we use Carbon Fiber wrapped Alumimum tanks. They're 80cf, and we charge them to about 3500 pounds. The tanks are nice because they're very light (about 23 pounds filled). I asked the people who "know stuff" there if you could use such a tank for diving. They had no idea. So...I toss the question out to you all. Can a tank that was originally intended for the fire service be used for diving? I mean, outside of the obvious stuff like hydro and vip. Are the valves the same thread....those sorts of things.
Not that I can get my hands on one of them right now, but just in case I ever could....

:eek:ut:
In a word, NO. They are not approved by DOT for SCUBA use. As for the Hoop wraped tanks, it is important to note the Carbon Fiber Hoop wrapped tanks is a combination of AL and Carbon Fiber and I believe the Carbon Fiber is INSIDE an alumimum shell.

The SCBA tank is designed for use at 1 Atmosphier and to contain the pressure inside the tank. It is not designed for external pressure, but that should not be a problem. The problem would be the water environment and the dings we put into our tanks.

Bottom line, I figure there is a good reason why DOT has not approved the tank for use. I also figure if the tank mfg could get it approved they would as it would expand the potential sales for the production line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom