Would you choose a "Technical." Dive Computer for "Recreational." Diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Degenerate :

You mention gauge mode, and decompression models. Sounds like when getting back into diving you weren't exactly a beginner. :wink:

I've recommended/helped two brand new divers with shearwaters and after telling them to keep it in OC Rec, showing them how to set nitrox, where the compass is and ignore the rest..... what's left to show or understand??

Recommending based on cost is tricky too. Lots of different types of divers and levels of disposable income. Maybe they only go on one trip a year and its a $20,000 liveaboard vacation for two.... Three shearwaters between the two people sounds like a wonderful recommendation. Is it a 19 year old student scraping up enough money for a couple fills at their local dive spot? Then not so much...

@Degenerate :

You mention gauge mode, and decompression models. Sounds like when getting back into diving you weren't exactly a beginner. :wink:

I've recommended/helped two brand new divers with shearwaters and after telling them to keep it in OC Rec, showing them how to set nitrox, where the compass is and ignore the rest..... what's left to show or understand??

Recommending based on cost is tricky too. Lots of different types of divers and levels of disposable income. Maybe they only go on one trip a year and its a $20,000 liveaboard vacation for two.... Three shearwaters between the two people sounds like a wonderful recommendation. Is it a 19 year old student scraping up enough money for a couple fills at their local dive spot? Then not so much...

When I got back in I had a total of 20ish dives, including OW and AOW dives (all of them done 5 years earlier), so I would say I was a beginner back then.
I did a lot of reading online though and was lucky enough to get a very good mentor to guide me, if that wouldn't have happened I would probably still be an AOW diver with my old Vyper :D

Everyone isn't lucky enough to have someone show them the ropes, such as setting up their fancy new computer, and some people are simply to stupid/reckless to leave such settings be.

I'll agree on recommending based on cost though, it's a non issue for some and a massive hurdle for others.

Hello. This is somewhat of an "Off Shoot." from another post.:stirpot:
Single most important factor in choosing a recreational dive computer
The "Key." word was "Recreational." So, as with, per normal S.B. and allowable "Off-Topic." replies.....we basically went from "Recreational." dive computers to:; "Trimix." "CCR." and "Accelerated Decompression."
I didn't realize, that "Accelerated Decompression." was incorporated into "Recreational." diving?
(I didn't get the memo.) Then, on to the Suunto HelO2 ( Which isn't a "Recreational." dive computer.)
So....It got me thinking? I was curious if, anyone would buy a "Technical." dive computer even, if, they never intended to follow the "Technical." path.
I can see many advantages to buying a "Technical." dive computer, one being the algorithm, (Accounting for diver error.)
Cheers.

Hi Boston Breakwater,

We had a similar conversation recently, realizing this is somewhat of a side-bar to that
conversation.

I briefly reviewed most of the posts, my opinion follows.

I am one of those fortunate's who never had to settle for something less, for no other reason than because it was cheap or cheaper, I hate both words.

In this sport, you need to have what is necessary to not only get you into the water, but get you back to the shore, or back on the boat deck safely.

If any device you have is anything less than what you should have, then you are placing yourself in a compromising situation.

As far as computers go, if an entry level computer fulfills ALL your needs, then you have what you need, if it does not fulfill ALL your needs, then you need something else, and as your needs change, your devices have to change with you expanded needs.

My Shearwater Petrel 2 EXT was purchased based on my needs and my plans at time of purchase, which intern was instrumental in getting me safely back to the shore, or back onto the boat deck. Does it have a few plus's, sure, but it has no minus's.

That is a good thing.

LOL,

Rose

A computer is just a tool to validate what you should know at your dive level.
It is not a device to take you "back to safety to the surface"as some.people think; your understanding of decompression and your brain with simple device(s) giving you the 3 parameters are enough.
Yes a computer is easier and nice to have but it doesn't replace knowledge.
For new divers, simple understanding of connections between gas, time and depth and their limits is more than enough.
As it has been said before, spend your money (even if you are uber rich) in going diving as nothing replaces real experience.

I was curious if, anyone would buy a "Technical." dive computer even, if, they never intended to follow the "Technical." path.

Sure, if I won lotto and had to either spend the money or pay taxes on it. Otherwise I can think of approximately 800 reasons why not.

It is not a device to take you "back to safety to the surface"as some.people think; your understanding of decompression and your brain with simple device(s) giving you the 3 parameters are enough.
Really? I disagree with this completely. If you're hitting any sort of depth below 80FSW, then you are affected by narcosis. Only the fool thinks they are completely immune and the fact that many don't "feel" it, shows just how insidious it is. On the other hand, your PDC never ever gets narced. It remembers the details of your dive far better than you ever will and in far greater detail. Frankly, the people who dive their PDCs in gauge mode scare the snot out of me. Why? Your brain will fail you on almost every dive and it often hides the fact that it has failed. PDCs are great until they do something so radical that you can't help but notice the flaw.

Moreover, we rely on many tools to get us back safe. Your regulator, the boat your diving off, the car you got to boat in and the list can go on.

Really? I disagree with this completely. If you're hitting any sort of depth below 80FSW, then you are affected by narcosis. Only the fool thinks they are completely immune and the fact that many don't "feel" it, shows just how insidious it is. On the other hand, your PDC never ever gets narced. It remembers the details of your dive far better than you ever will and in far greater detail. Frankly, the people who dive their PDCs in gauge mode scare the snot out of me. Why? Your brain will fail you on almost every dive and it often hides the fact that it has failed. PDCs are great until they do something so radical that you can't help but notice the flaw.

Moreover, we rely on many tools to get us back safe. Your regulator, the boat your diving off, the car you got to boat in and the list can go on.
Can I have an AMEN, brothers and sisters!

What is a technical dive computer? And what is a recreational dive computer? What is technical diving?
Interesting reply? I suggest researching it, and coming to your own opinion, interpretation, and conclusion.
Cheers.

A technical dive computer is explicitly stated in the original post as one designed to support technical dives, such as "Trimix, CCR, and Accelerated Decompression". A recreational dive computer may support some dives exceeding the universally acknowledged recreational limits of no decompression and 40m depth, but is not purpose-built for that. The question that is helpful is whether a technical computer serves as a good recreational computer, and I look forward to informed answers, rather than feigned clarification.
Hello. The "Post." stated Single most important factor in choosing a recreational dive computer
The "Key." word was "Recreational." So, as with, per normal S.B. and allowable "Off-Topic." replies.....we basically went from "Recreational." dive computers to:; "Trimix." "CCR." and "Accelerated Decompression." meaning, that the Post was geared to "Recreational." computers, and veered off into "Trimix." "CCR." and "Accelerated Decompression." which to my knowledge has nothing to do with "Recreational." diving. Hence, the start of this thread..So, no. It does not, and was not explicitly stated as "A technical dive computer is explicitly stated in the original post as one designed to support technical dives, such as "Trimix, CCR, and Accelerated Decompression".
Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom