Would you choose a "Technical." Dive Computer for "Recreational." Diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You would think I would have a 'top of the range' technical computer.

I dive CCR. So integrated into the CCR is a full mixed gas fixed PO2 computer with bailout. Thats my primary instrument. I have dived Trimix on the CCR. I came close to buying a VR3, (I used number over a 2 year period,) even then I continued to use Runtime as my primary backup tables.

Now, due to circumstance, most of my buddies are OC. Mainly doing what we call recreational diving. Less than 20 minutes of decompression stops, no trimix.

Occasionally, we do something slightly more adventurous, and they use accelerated decompression, even more rarely, we use Trimix.
Very occasionally, I do OC diving, or I teach (on OC).

My second instrument is an OSTC recreational computer. (Not the tech' versions). 3 Gases and Gradient Factors.
My other option is a Suunto Vyper (the Vytec died after many years of service), and a Suunto Zoop, which I often lend to students.
One nice thing for me with an OC buddy, is I have a reasonable idea what my buddies decompression obligation is. I can use the three gases to accelerate my decompression if I want, either to bailout in the event of unit failure (more conservatively than the CCR computer), or to clear the stops when I'm breathing a richer mix on the CCR.

I could buy a new computer, I keep toying with the idea of a new fixed PO2 mixed gas computer, either Shearwater or OSTC. But then, I choose to spend the money on more diving.

If i go back to doing mixed gas stuff, I would probably buy a suitable computer. Since I dived runtime regularly, computers are at least three generations on. They physically better computers, with better menu structures (anything is better than a VR3). More importantly, in this period, the preferred decompression approach has changed, and changed again. A new computer, if/when I buy it will be following the currently thought best decompression model for this type of diving, not something that is 3, 5, 10 years out of date.

New divers benefit more from going diving, than having the best kit on the boat.

I would much prefer to dive with someone who can dive, and dives regularly, than a diver with all the gear and no idea.

My biggest concern is when someone uses a technical computer, with no idea about the Gradient Factors (or the safety settings), leaving them set to 100/100. Shearwater does at least have the options to switch the computer to 'recreational'. Assuming the user understand WHY they need to do this!

Buy what you like. RTFM!!!. Understand what the manual is telling you. But GO DIVING. Nothing substitutes for regular in water time.

leaving them set to 100/100.
My Shearwaters came to me with the default 30/70 and have remained there.

As a new diver, I see no need. My dive shop tried to sell me a "technical" computer. The pitch was why buy the cheaper computer you will need to upgrade later when you can have this computer that can take you all the way through tech.

I went with the cheaper aqualung i300c computer and I would make that choice again. The money I saved on the "recreational" computer went to other equipment and air fills which got me into the water more often. Will I ever upgrade? Maybe, but not until it is needed.

My Shearwaters came to me with the default 30/70 and have remained there.

Believe it or not, Shearwater is not the only technical dive computer manufacturer.

Just because Shearwater does X, does nut mean that other manufactures do the same. There is also the issue of flat batteries, battery changes and hard resets.
I have just reset the gases, and GF's on my OSTC after a battery change.

How many times have we had to say RTFM to people?

Gradient factors offer huge power and flexibility to the diver. But it also changes the risk factor.
I used to dive with one guy who always used two identical (technical) computers.
The primary computer had one set of GF's for the 'dive' , safe settings.
The second computer was set aggressively to get him out of the water as fast as possible, with a potential risk of requiring medivac once back on the surface. This was his KYAGB set-up, if it all went to S***. If he couldn't follow the first computers profile he had a fighting chance with the second, if he couldn't follow the second, he was in serious trouble.

Recreational dive computers have very safe profiles.
Technical dive computers allow you to set very aggressive profiles.
The risk of operator error with regard to the profile on a recreational computer is minimal.
There is a risk of operator error with a technical dive computer, especially for those that do not understand how the computer works and what it is doing. That is a fact.

My opinion on the original question is most definitely yes. Buy a computer that has more capability than your diving skill. That said try and do some research and find a computer that you as a novice diver can understand. In other words try to find one that is easy to work with, has a menu that is understandable for you. I challenge all of you who read this to go to your owners manuals and start drilling down the menu sheets and find words that have no comprehensive meaning. So you as a buyer are going to do some more research and find the definition of the acronyms.

I have owned several dive computers and they all do a good job for the most part. When I first started diving, I wanted a computer that was inexpensive but would get me through a dive. Pretty soon though, I wanted more. I also wanted a more intuitive menu that followed my thought process. I then bought a more advanced computer and was happy with it for awhile but I did not like the way it displayed information and if you missed a button push, you couldn’t go back, but had to go through the menu again until you got back to where you wanted to be to begin with.

I finally purchased my last dive computer and it very diver/user friendly. It is intuitive and has more features in it that I never see me using. It is more computer than I will ever need, however it does recreational diving extremely well and if you decide to become an advanced technical diver, it will be right there with you.

If you are one that wants a cool dive computer with bling and like to peacock and look cool it’ll do that as well.

I have kept name brands out of this response to try and remain unbiased. If you want to know the brands message me.

Glenn

Some, here and on FB, push all new divers to leap directly to a Perdix or Teric. The argument is often less about nice screens and more about future proofing.

Why is that? There is no other piece of gear out there with such a passionate user base. My personal argument is less about future proofing (although that is a good one) but more about ease of use, interface, and yes... the nice screen. A used non-AI perdix would make a wonderful (and affordable) starting computer.

A similar argument might be used for people contemplating taking up deco diving. Just go directly to CCR and don’t waste time and money on OC.

Off topic -- But I had that argument laid out to me when I had to make the decision in my tech training. The decision criteria was how often are you going to dive and how much helium do you plan to use. I chose open circuit. If I lived in south florida, I would have gone straight CCR.

Really though there is a progression and doing a bit of serious diving first and learning what you require is important, the same goes for computers.

I agree. Except with computers. Just get a perdix. :rofl3:

Yes, to the OP's question.
---------------------------------------
By the way, someone said all computers do deco.
Well, maybe, but many of the rec-only computers do not do it well. They give overly conservative deco times. Trying to be super safe, I guess. Do NOT use these for a planned deco dive; you may not have enough gas.

You would think I would have a 'top of the range' technical computer.

I dive CCR. So integrated into the CCR is a full mixed gas fixed PO2 computer with bailout. Thats my primary instrument. I have dived Trimix on the CCR. I came close to buying a VR3, (I used number over a 2 year period,) even then I continued to use Runtime as my primary backup tables.

Now, due to circumstance, most of my buddies are OC. Mainly doing what we call recreational diving. Less than 20 minutes of decompression stops, no trimix.

Occasionally, we do something slightly more adventurous, and they use accelerated decompression, even more rarely, we use Trimix.
Very occasionally, I do OC diving, or I teach (on OC).

My second instrument is an OSTC recreational computer. (Not the tech' versions). 3 Gases and Gradient Factors.
My other option is a Suunto Vyper (the Vytec died after many years of service), and a Suunto Zoop, which I often lend to students.
One nice thing for me with an OC buddy, is I have a reasonable idea what my buddies decompression obligation is. I can use the three gases to accelerate my decompression if I want, either to bailout in the event of unit failure (more conservatively than the CCR computer), or to clear the stops when I'm breathing a richer mix on the CCR.

I could buy a new computer, I keep toying with the idea of a new fixed PO2 mixed gas computer, either Shearwater or OSTC. But then, I choose to spend the money on more diving.

If i go back to doing mixed gas stuff, I would probably buy a suitable computer. Since I dived runtime regularly, computers are at least three generations on. They physically better computers, with better menu structures (anything is better than a VR3). More importantly, in this period, the preferred decompression approach has changed, and changed again. A new computer, if/when I buy it will be following the currently thought best decompression model for this type of diving, not something that is 3, 5, 10 years out of date.

New divers benefit more from going diving, than having the best kit on the boat.

I would much prefer to dive with someone who can dive, and dives regularly, than a diver with all the gear and no idea.

My biggest concern is when someone uses a technical computer, with no idea about the Gradient Factors (or the safety settings), leaving them set to 100/100. Shearwater does at least have the options to switch the computer to 'recreational'. Assuming the user understand WHY they need to do this!

Buy what you like. RTFM!!!. Understand what the manual is telling you. But GO DIVING. Nothing substitutes for regular in water time.
I like this perspective as you've done both sides. I have no interest in decompression dives at the moment (probably ever), but have considered getting a Perdix. It does have a nice screen and obviously is more than capable for any type of diving that a sane person would want to do. Even as a person who is very comfortable with computers (not the diving kind) I do worry that it is overly featured and I might accidentally set something wrong. My Open Water instructor had one where you could modify the coefficients of the various tissue compartments individually, which struck me as a fascinating and incredibly dangerous way to test out one's own crackpot theories on decompression. Mainly I do enjoy technology and it's fun to think about having the "best" computer but probably not a good use of money.

I did spend $600 on an Aqualung i550 console computer, mainly because it has a huge screen. My eyesight is 20/20, though I do need a minimal +.25 for reading, but I feel more comfortable knowing that I can read the thing even if my mask is flooding. It's also nice that since it sits on the hose it can tell you when your air is low (not that I have ever relied on it for that, but just in case). Despite the higher price, it's fundamentally a rec computer. It does support 3 different gases, but no helium. No gradient factors, just a conservatism on/off switch. Feature-wise it's pretty basic.

Should I have gotten a cheap one and put the money toward a SeaSkin drysuit. Probably. I'm still quite happy with the i550, though.

I bought a technical capable computer for recreational diving. Suunto Eon Core. I chose it for these features which aren’t tech specific:

• Big easy to read display
  • Customizable interface
  • Very easy to use and well designed 3 button interface
  • Built in compass
  • Air integration
And additionally what I call the “Toy Factor” the blue tooth integration to my phone and general fun and coolness.

I didn’t originally purchase the pressure transmitter pod, but requested it for Christmas. When my wife went to purchase it at the LDS she asked “What exactly is this?” The staff member, also female, responded “Boys and their toys”

Why is that? There is no other piece of gear out there with such a passionate user base. My personal argument is less about future proofing (although that is a good one) but more about ease of use, interface, and yes... the nice screen. A used non-AI perdix would make a wonderful (and affordable) starting computer.

It's simple, because it is an awesome piece of kit!

When I got back into diving a year and a half ago I didn't see a reason for me to get a fancy "tech computer", so I picked up a used Vyper for next to nothing and dove it in gauge mode for a year.
The money I saved went to other stuff and more fills, I would definitely take the same route again if I was just getting into diving.
When I scheduled a trimix course earlier this year I got a Perdix instead, and while I don't regret not buying it sooner, I gotta say that I wouldn't have suffered in any way either if I did get it sooner.
It is a great computer, and I would happily recommend it for divers who have zero interest in ever going down the tech path.
I would however not recommend it to a brand new diver partly because of the cost (that money can be better spent on other gear and fills, hell you could pay for a whole course with it) and also because a brand new diver is very unlikely to understand how the different settings affect them.
I only used my Vyper in gauge mode so the fact that it used RGBM never bothered me, but I can definitely see a benefit for rec divers to get a computer with a less conservative algorithm, and it absolutely does not have to be a Shearwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom