Would you choose a "Technical." Dive Computer for "Recreational." Diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The type and frequency of diving you will be doing + your budget + your interest in learning and maintaining proficiency in the intricacies and sophistication of the computer should drive your decision as to what to buy. I get a chuckle when I see divers that apparently only dive a few days a year, who are quite happy to show off their very expensive, top of the line computer, which they can't figure out how to operate as they are getting ready to splash, and barely look at underwater. I'm thinking they should have bought a less expensive/sophisticated computer, and spent more money on diving.

Like anything if you have the cash, then you can buy a 'technical' diving computer.

In my mind the technical computers are those that allow for Helium or constant PO2.
There is an issue with those that are running decompression models that are 'more advanced?', these are often 'flavour of the month'. A simple example of this is the move away from practices such as deep stops and some of the bubble models, which where all the rage a little while back. Some of the technical computers are not ideal for new divers, gradient factors are to complicated, but not something newer divers know or understand.

My advice to newer divers is rather than spend $1000 + on a new computer, spend $80 [1], and the remaining $920 on going diving [2]. You will learn more, improve more and enjoy it more. As your diving progress, you can upgrade, either because you want to, or because you need additional features.
We did a feature, here, for our members.

[1] You can get an inexpensive Nitrox computer. A colour display as I get older, is a big benefit over a monochrome display, so I would pay extra for this.
[2] In my locality, a drysuit is a must. So that gives $920 to put towards a drysuit. The rule is the same, without the drysuit, you will do a lot less diving.

Two "entry level" computers are all you need for recreational diving.
Stay away from those using RGBM.

I am still using Aladin Pro nitrox which I bought in 1997. Back up by a cheap Oceanic.

What do the Brit's use, as they include limited back-gas deco fairly early?
Suunto Zoops, sometimes the Mares equivalent, maybe the odd Aqualung i300C. Some end up with the watch size equivalents like the D4i.

Occasionally someone is unfortunate enough to come here first and blows a grand on a black computer. That is ok so long as they didn’t waste money that could have bought them a drysuit.

For me 99% of the importance is on the display. It must be large and easy to read. If you cannot read the text and numbers of the display, it is substantially useless, whatever the info being shown.
Most technical computers are large and with good display, and this is a very good reason for buying them, even if, as me, there is not and there never will be any "technical" diving.
Recreational computers instead often have monochrome displays of smaller size and much worst readability.

All dive computers are equipped with required technology and enable diver to see bottom time, depth, NDL, etc. Also, they are not limited to 40 m depth. If you are recreational diver, any modern recreational dive computer should be enough. Can you use tech computer for such dives. Yes, of course. However, tech computer is more sophisticated and user needs to understand how such computer works to avoid big mistakes (might set incorrect settings, e.g set trimix instead of air, put odd GF factors) or situation when diver is wearing the most expensive computer but does not understand what it means. I heard many stories that divers have simple recreational dive computer but do not understand what it shows.

So, for simplicity purposes recreational divers should use recreational computers, however, if they have cash and willing to spend time to fully understand how tech computer works, then why not.

A technical dive computer is explicitly stated in the original post as one designed to support technical dives, such as "Trimix, CCR, and Accelerated Decompression". A recreational dive computer may support some dives exceeding the universally acknowledged recreational limits of no decompression and 40m depth, but is not purpose-built for that. The question that is helpful is whether a technical computer serves as a good recreational computer, and I look forward to informed answers, rather than feigned clarification.
I think you are making universal assumptions about peoples understanding of these words being the same as yours, like the OP does.

I guess you think a technical dive is a deco dive. I can only guess though because apparently it is so obvious it goes without saying. However a lot of people would not call a simple back gas deco dive technical. But they would call a shallow no deco dive in a serious overhead technical.

All dive computers handle deco dives.

Is the Aqualung i300C a technical diving computer? Is the Suunto Vyper Novo? What are the differences between those and an entry level computer from the same brand other than being able to change gas to a richer mix for deco? So is a Zoop a technical dive computer?

Is being black with exposed hex bolts that matters?

Or is it the settings? Do they need extremely exotic settings to be technical? Ones which nobody can give a definitive answer on?

Or the price? By the time you get to a grand or so they all do CCR, trimix and so forth.

Really all computers are ‘technical’, some have more feature than others and that goes along with price. Want a nice bright colour screen and Bluetooth? Your getting a big price and so a bundle of unnecessary features. An extra feature might be to turn off half the features. Too many features can lead to long and tedious menu systems with extra ways to get the settings wrong. There is no chance of accidentally diving bailout CCR mode on a Zoop.

I think people should just buy a computer suitable for the diving they are doing or very likely to do real soon. They should look at what features are helpful to them (I am a huge fan of Bluetooth) but try not to overspend. Computers get lost, are expensive and you eventually need two if you are doing serious dives.

I suspect by ‘technical computer’ the OP simply means Shearwater (I own a couple of these).

Some, here and on FB, push all new divers to leap directly to a Perdix or Teric. The argument is often less about nice screens and more about future proofing. A similar argument might be used for people contemplating taking up deco diving. Just go directly to CCR and don’t waste time and money on OC. Really though there is a progression and doing a bit of serious diving first and learning what you require is important, the same goes for computers. If all you really need is to watch an NDL number in good light a single button Mares Puck will do (for the record I hate single button computers). For any sensible person that is all they will need for a couple of years. For the difference in price between a Mares Puck and a Teric I can buy a complete drysuit and undersuit. I am extremely interested in keeping divers diving. Who is more likely to carry on, a cold Teric owner or a warm Mares owner?

I quite often lend out computers. Generally a Zoop, rarely a Perdix (as I like to download the logs for myself) and in the past (until a student lost it) a HelO2. The students generally cope with whatever they are given for in the water use. It is the settings which are hard. Go to a shop, play with the computer, set it to 32% and back to air. How hard was that? Good or not?

Saying that they should buy a technical dive computer as recreational divers who have no intention of going the tech. diving route or who are still beginners, is a crime.
A crime? This made me chuckle. I think this statement is way over the top.

In diving, rarely any topic is purely cut and dried. As soon as you try to codify it, along comes the exception. Then you have some people claiming it's the only logical way to go while others tell you that you're committing a crime and still others indicate how dangerous your decision might be and you're going to get hurt or even die.

Oh, the drama!​

You would think we were discussing something that truly affects your safety like a mask on your forehead or split fins. I have some simple advice to the first time PDC buyer: Fit and comfort. No, I'm not talking about the strap, though that may not factor in. Buy a PDC you can trust and that fits you lifestyle as well as your budget. Whether I'm headed into a cave, diving my rebreather or splashing on a reef OC, you're going to find a Shearwater and probably even a Garmin on my wrists. I just received a D6 PDC to evaluate and wow, it's nice as well. Is it a 'tech' computer? As much as I would need unless I'm on my SF2 rebreather. Do I trust it? Just like I do all of my PDCs.

Tech or Rec, a PDC is merely a tool. Reading the manual (RTFM) is nice, but I've dove a number of PDCs that there was no manual for. If it's intuitive, then a manual probably isn't needed. Do become familiar with the buttons, how they work, how to set limits and even NitrOx before you splash. But, more importantly than that is to develop a diving strategy for using this tool so you don't get hurt. Like all cars, every PDC has a defect and that's the loose nut behind the wheel or pushing the buttons. Remember it's just a tool and the defect is you and how you use it. The more you push it's limits, the more the limits will push right back.

Fit and comfort. It doesn't matter what others think about your choice. You're doing your dive; not them. What? They think you're a criminal for having a Perdix on your wrist because you don't mind trusting it with your life? Toughie kaboombas. What? They think you're a cheapskate because you know how to make that one button Oceanic Geo sing and you feel safe with it? Toughie Kaboombas x2. It's your dive and your decision.

I did, (perdix). I liked the display and navigation best.

Glad I did as I will be getting into decompression diving soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom