Would those in the know be kind enough.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So............

Is this all you got for me as far as equipment?.....:popcorn:

I feel you guys are holding back.... what you don't want to help a newbie?:depressed:.............

Well.......thanks anyway.......:cheers:

Why do you want to overcomplicate ? Sometimes simplicity is the right way to go, you just need to be at the right balance ! The only thing sI added for lobstering to my 120cf were a bag and the gauge, the permit being obvious :) I use my 5 years old gloves which are getting old and display plenty of holes...
The tickle stick might be a good idea, but I still need to see its need in action.

I'm far from an expert as I probably got somewhere between 10-15 bugs only last year... still on my learning curve, but definitely not looking to add more stuff to carry :wink:

It isn't necessary to have lots of equipment. You will find useful a catch bag, tickle stick, gauge, an extra 2-3 lbs of lead, a dive light, permit, and patience.

I attached my gauge to the end of the tickle stick, and attached them both to my flag line holder with two big bolt-snaps on the end of a 2-foot line. The bolt-snaps act as an anchor for the flag line if I lose my grip on it, or disconnect the tickle stick/gauge. I haul the flag by holding the tickle stick, even when I'm not lobstering.

During the day, you'll find lobsters hiding in holes that they or a similar-sized predecessor excavated under rocks. You can use the tickle stick to coax them out, or reach in and quickly grab them, risking your fingers in the process.

Lobsters and their hiding spots are matched in size, so if one is taken from its hole, another similar-sized bug will take its place.

Underwater, lobsters always seem much bigger to me than they really are, so I learned not to bother trying for one that seems "big enough".

If it's legal to do so where you are, go out at night when the bugs are active. You'll find them next to rocks, between them, on top of them, and cruising the sand flats.

These are just some ideas and things I've done. I'm not an expert lobster-catcher. I've spent a good deal of time looking for them, but only caught a few - never one big enough to invite home. My home state (CT) just doubled the price to $120 for a permit, so I won't be lobstering this year.

--
Joe P.

There really isn't any "special gear" for lobstering. We use a couple of tickle sticks, a gauge, and a bag to put them in. I believe snaring is illegal. So that's it, really.

The only real trick is to dive where there are a lot of "keepers"! :wink:

Thanks guys......

I am sure I will have more questions about technique after my first lobster dive....

Cheers.....

Paolo

no secrets here. it's not that complicated. xroirat covered the esentials. add patience and perserverance and a fair amount of luck to your basic cold water dive gear (-exposure suit of choice, hood, boots, gloves) If you are wondering which tank, rent first to see what your air consumption is and what's comfortable for you. I actually prefer my aluminums over my steels. I'm weight integrated and wouldn't go back to a belt but my buddy would never give hers up. If you're just starting, meet up with the froggies or the metro west folks that meet every weekend at the north shore, or get on a charter. they have their special spots for hunting. or just take a ride up to a popular dive spot to meet and talk to other divers and you'll see what works for them. Then give yourself the time to figure what works for you. Good luck and have fun!

My home state (CT) just doubled the price to $120 for a permit, so I won't be lobstering this year.

--
Joe P.

Yipes! I thought $40 was high. Sorry to hear about you folks getting screwed.:depressed:
Jim

Here was the biggest eye opener for me: having a great Buddy that was actually a great teacher and showed me how... the first time I did try by myself and made simple mistakes that could have turned bad (short bugs, not sure where to look..), so this is probably the biggest secret of all: get the right person to show you !

You can also bait lobsters to come out of their holes. A crushed crab or clam is a tasty morsel to a lobster. Just wave a little at the entrance of its hole and put the bulk of it about a foot outside the hole. Wait......it'll come out for a snack...grab bug!

Thank you much for all your advice and tips...... will report back from my first expedition.....

BTW, I tried to locate the "Lobster Tail Tamer" video, with no luck, does anyone know where to buy one? I heard it was pretty good in showing the lobster grabbing technique underwater......

In Nova Scotia they don't allow recreation lobster catching and as a result on pretty much every dive you will see at least 2 lobster out of their holes during the day.

I had always been a supporter of underwater hunting when I couldn't do it, but as I hear more stories of the changes in animal behaviour I am leaning against it more and more.

Did any of you dive in the same areas before they allowed the rec lobster hunting? Did you notice behaviour changes? I read the DMF rec lobster guide and I see that no females are allowed so there isn't great harm from a population perspective I guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom