Would like to dive Maine this September ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain, do you have any boundaries on this visit or will the destination be based solely on diving? It's a long coastline with lots to explore.

Captain, do you have any boundaries on this visit or will the destination be based solely on diving? It's a long coastline with lots to explore.

I was initially planning to drive all the way to Eastport but most of the buddies I have found prefer to dive in the Nubble Light area south of Portland. Let me know what you have in mind and I am sure we can work something out :p

Nubble is Maine's most visible dive site and is the go-to destination for most visitors to the state. Being within an hour of the NH border helps a lot. It's a nice site with good surface amenities. Dive shops are an hour north in Portland or a little closer to the south in the Portsmouth NH area. It does have a knack of attracting more open ocean critters in small quantities than other southern Maine sites. Skirting the island can get some significant depth. The dive in front of the lot may max out around 40' but is real nice IMO. Entry is over a big often slippery ledge that can be a PITA. Most divers prefer to deal with it near high tide. If not dry you will want to be in a 7mm wetsuit with 2X on the core.

I have not had a chance to dive Eastport but form all that I have heard Eastport is way over the top in terms of marine life quantity and diversity. That being said it's probably another 4+ hours to the north is beautiful down east Maine which is beautiful but sort of remote. It's a solid day trip from MT Desert island (Acadia N.P.) just to visit the place. It will really come down to what you want to see. Eastport will be noticeably colder than down south. Most diving is done at slack high tide as there is a massive tidal swing , (often ~20') and the resulting currents hence all that thriving sea life. Drysuit and serious thermal are strongly suggested but it can be done wet.

In between is Mt Desert Island which we have visited 3 times as scuba divers. Here's a trip report.

The Rachel Carson Salt Pond down the peninsula from Damriscotta is a premier shore dive here in the state and worth the detour if you're driving north. Due to the entry situation high tide is highly desirable here. This is actually true of most sites.

In general the shore areas are not that deep and IMO the nicest dives are along the fringe of the ledges coming form shore leading out to other structure away from shore. The extra 9 feet of water high tide provides makes a big difference. Most shore dives will to out around 40 feet. Low tide can also often mean needing to stumble through a minefield of seaweed covered rocks.

Ships Cove at Fort Williams is very popular if you're staying in the Portland Area. I dove there just yesterday. It's also a good dive with easy entry at any tide.

St' Ann's Beach in Kennebunkport is a hidden jewel IMO. I dove there today.

I do have a few Fridays off in September and some weekend days surely will be open to dive. I live in the southern part of the state (just went of turnpike Exit 25, Kennebunk) and Cape Elizabeth, south is where I spend most of my time. Let me know if this area fits your plans and between myself and the Maine-iac Divers we should be able to manage some hospitality. Once you get focused announce your plans on our Yahoo! Group.

Pete

Nubble is Maine's most visible dive site and is the go-to destination for most visitors to the state. Being within an hour of the NH border helps a lot. It's a nice site with good surface amenities. Dive shops are an hour north in Portland or a little closer to the south in the Portsmouth NH area. It does have a knack of attracting more open ocean critters in small quantities than other southern Maine sites. Skirting the island can get some significant depth. The dive in front of the lot may max out around 40' but is real nice IMO. Entry is over a big often slippery ledge that can be a PITA. Most divers prefer to deal with it near high tide. If not dry you will want to be in a 7mm wetsuit with 2X on the core.

Nubble is a very nice dive and best done at max high, or (assuming you are comfortable negotiating slippery rocks) max low tide. At max high you can put on fins and swim out; at max low there is a large rock that serves well as a "table" for completing your gear don. If you decide to dive that site you are sure to have others offer to join you. Word of caution: it's a rock entry, all of it, and I've seen folks tossed around fairly well who decided to make an entry under somewhat rough surface conditions. In this picture the tide is egressing, and you can see the top of the large rock that eventually will be almost completely "dry".

2012-08-04 09.48.22.jpg

I have not had a chance to dive Eastport but form all that I have heard Eastport is way over the top in terms of marine life quantity and diversity. That being said it's probably another 4+ hours to the north is beautiful down east Maine which is beautiful but sort of remote. It's a solid day trip from MT Desert island (Acadia N.P.) just to visit the place. It will really come down to what you want to see. Eastport will be noticeably colder than down south. Most diving is done at slack high tide as there is a massive tidal swing , (often ~20') and the resulting currents hence all that thriving sea life. Drysuit and serious thermal are strongly suggested but it can be done wet.

In between is Mt Desert Island which we have visited 3 times as scuba divers. Here's a trip report.

The Rachel Carson Salt Pond down the peninsula from Damriscotta is a premier shore dive here in the state and worth the detour if you're driving north. Due to the entry situation high tide is highly desirable here. This is actually true of most sites.

In general the shore areas are not that deep and IMO the nicest dives are along the fringe of the ledges coming form shore leading out to other structure away from shore. The extra 9 feet of water high tide provides makes a big difference. Most shore dives will to out around 40 feet. Low tide can also often mean needing to stumble through a minefield of seaweed covered rocks.

Ships Cove at Fort Williams is very popular if you're staying in the Portland Area. I dove there just yesterday. It's also a good dive with easy entry at any tide.

St' Ann's Beach in Kennebunkport is a hidden jewel IMO. I dove there today.

I do have a few Fridays off in September and some weekend days surely will be open to dive. I live in the southern part of the state (just went of turnpike Exit 25, Kennebunk) and Cape Elizabeth, south is where I spend most of my time. Let me know if this area fits your plans and between myself and the Maine-iac Divers we should be able to manage some hospitality. Once you get focused announce your plans on our Yahoo! Group.

Pete

Thanks very much for such detailed information. Nubble is definitely one dive that I would not like to go home without. I was actually checking out Mainiac Divers website yesterday. Glad to have run into one of the members. Yes the Cape Elizabeth area is within my reach. Once I have some details finalized, I will let you guys know so that we can hook up. Let me add you to my buddies list. Thanks very much for the offer. Looking forward to the dives.

If diving Nubble it helps to bring a rope to tie to the cleat on the rocks. Is makes entry and exit so easy when you have a little something to hold on to. Nubble is also a great night dive, just watch out for the giant lobster.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom