Would Key Largo Disappoint by comparison...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from Largo. Did 4 dives, 2 on molasses reef and 2 on French reef. As others have said reefs are not grand but the fish are awesome. Such a huge diversity from drum, top hats, hog fish, sharks, turtles, rays, more parrot fish than you can shake a stick at. I'll gladly dive there anytime. The drift dives off WPB are wonderful as well.

Sea was rough though, but that is a little unusual in summer. We had 3-5 foot seas and quite a bit of chop yesterday. Friday on molasses there was a good bit on surge in the bottom as well. French was a bit deeper and very little surge.

We have been to numerous dive destinations around the world to experience the variety of undersea life. We began diving in Key Largo before our world travels, and continue to be devoted to Key Largo now that we have retired and slowed down.

We continue to be drawn to Key Largo because we are never disappointed by the diving there. There is ALWAYS something interesting to see. Fish life is plentiful and varied. Beautiful reefs are my joy, and I can't say that's what attracts me to Key Largo. But the reef formations are interesting, and there are lots of fun swim-throughs and interesting reef topography. It's really inspiring to be diving along and spot new corals that have been "planted" by the folks at the Coral Restoration Foundation. The dive community in Key Largo is awesome - they are the backbone of the U.S. dive industry.

We consider Key Largo our dive "home" primarily because of the simplicity of diving there. While the areas you mention definitely offer great diving, they are international destinations and require additional trip planning. In Key Largo, you are in the United States, you don't need a passport, your health insurance works, there's a grocery story nearby, there's a drugstore around the corner, etc. Life is just so much EASIER. We've been returning for so many years now that we've formed some amazing friendships and can't wait to go back and visit everyone whenever we have the opportunity.

What drew us to Key Largo was the diving. What continues to draw us to Key Largo is the diving. That's saying a lot after 15 years of diving there. The gang at Scuba Diving Florida Keys | Rainbow Reef Dive Center | Key Largo, FL have taken care of us for all of those years. They provide a quality experience and I would highly recommend them.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom