We are looking for the BEST dive sites on Key Largo in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arubabob1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So my Daughter and I will be diving out of Key Largo in March 2022. I have over 1,000 dives and She is over 600 dives. We have done most of our diving in Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. We also dove Cozumel, Maldives, Grand Cayman and Roatan. Can any one tell us where the BEST dive sights would be in Key Largo. Only tell me your favorite dive sights. We would also love to do some lobstering. Please tell me where and who we go out with on this. As far as diving goes, we will use Rainbow Reef, since we are staying at the Marriott Courtyard on Key Largo. Please give us your best experience. Thanks. Aruba Bob

Hi @arubabob1

You and your daughter are both experienced divers. You would likely appreciate some of the more advanced dives, Spiegel Grove, Duane, Bibb, Molasses Deep/Drift, French Deep/Drift. Two other favorites of mine are Snapper Ledge and the Benwood. There is a nice wall 60 degrees off the bow of Benwood that few dive, something like 45-100 feet.

I concur with @scubadada I used to dive Key Largo quite a bit when I lived out east. Those are all solid choices. For what it's worth, we really liked the Molasses drift whenever it was available. :) That was usually when Duane, etc. were blown out if I recall.....Have fun!

Molasses Reef, Spiegel Grove, Duane, Conch Wall drift, French Reef drift are the best dives in and around Key Largo in my opinion and Rainbow Reef does all these sites when conditions permit.

You guys have dove beautiful reefs already. The reefs in Key Largo are nice but not as nice as what you have already done. People have already mentioned the wrecks and that makes sense for you guys to concentrate on that. Spiegel grove is beyond phenomenal. The Duane is also amazing. I have seen a 11-12 foot tiger shark on the Duane. If you google Duane and Great White some divers got to have one large GWS hang out with them on the Duane. If you like sharks maybe head north to Emerald Charters in Jupiter. The Blue Heron Bridge is a shallow albeit diverse wildlife spectacular dive.
The Benwood is ok but absolutely nothing like the Spiegel Grove or Duane. The Bibb is a sister ship to the Duane and I believe is a little deeper and on it's side. Sometimes the current is ripping and those dives are skipped.
We were down at key Largo when Tropical Fred came by...we left and dove North out of Riviera Beach while we could. We even got to see a beautiful sailfish...as well as several Goliath groupers and sharks, turtles.

Have only dove Largo for 15 dives or so, but can concur that Spiegel, Duane, Molasses, & Snapper were excellent dives.

I remember that when we were there we (one of our group) was able to lobster with appropriate license. Either that's because we bought the boat or I'm mis-remembering. It was also several years ago if that makes any difference.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom