Would Key Largo Disappoint by comparison...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver0008

New
Reaction score
Hello. I have a week in August to go diving, and am considering Key Largo for the sake of simplicity.

I have been to Bonaire, Curacao, The Cayman Islands, and Cozumel all multiple times.

I was wondering if spending a week in Key Largo would be quite similar but pale somewhat in comparison.

I like colourful and varied corals and interesting reef structures, and larger species and schools of fish and other water creatures.

I am not so much into macro or wrecks.

Appreciate any comments, suggestions, or insight.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Look at YouTube videos of diving at Key Largo, and that might answer your question. You are the only one that is going to know whether or not you might be disappointed with Key Largo dives. A lot divers love Key Largo from what I see on SB.

IMO, the other sites you mention have more impressive coral formations. You won't see anything in Key Largo like you see in Cozumel. On the other hand, I think that, as great as Bonaire and Curacao are, you are looking at the same kinds of coral formations and the same characteristic color on almost all dives. In Key Largo you will see more variety.

There is a good chance you will find the sea life more varied and plentiful than in the other sites.

Most of the Key Largo dive sites are much shallower than those other places--you will be doing longer dives with brighter conditions because you are closer to the surface.

My theory is that we tend to judge a new experience in comparison to our expectations. On a number of occasions after visiting Niagara Falls, Oscar Wilde said a variation of this: “Niagara will survive any criticism of mine. I must say this, however, that it is the first disappointment in the married life of many Americans who spend their honeymoon there.” I remembered that quote the first time I was there, and I was indeed quite disappointed. I left it feeling it was a waste of time. A number of years later I was in the vicinity with my children, and so I went there with them, not expecting much. I looked at the falls and thought, "Wow! This is really great!" I was truly impressed.

So go there with your mind in neutral. Don't go there expecting something spectacular. Don't go there expecting anything terrible. Go there expecting to have a good time diving in a very pleasant location, and you will not be disappointed.

I have only done a handful of dives in Key Largo. Based on those, I would say you would be very disappointed. However, some divers that I really respect tell me that Key Largo is great. So I guess I have just been unlucky so far :)

Not to talk you out of a couple of dives in Key Largo, but a run up to Jupiter/WPB for a couple dives would catch the goliath grouper aggregation (if you're talking mid to late August). In fact I'm going to be doing that very thing in August after a T&C liveaboard (flying in and out of Miami). I'm going to dive for three days in Jupiter, catch a night dive a BHB, then head to Key Largo for a few dives. I'm not planning on being disappointed after T&C. It's all just different. I've dived SE FL & the Keys a lot over the years and I'm never disappointed (unless I get blown out, but that doesn't happen much in summer unless it's a big storm). Have fun. Maybe I'll see ya on the reef. :)

I have enjoyed diving Key Largo and the Keys and Southern Florida. I was always impressed by the amount of sea life in the Keys (very fishy) but not as impressed with the reef formations and the longer, rougher boat rides. Florida and the Keys are a fun place to visit and dive but it may not be what you are looking for.

Have you considered the Turks and Caicos since you like larger creatures? Grand, beautiful walls and lots of sea life including turtles, tarpons, eels, spotted eagle rays, and sharks on just about every dive. If you stay on Provo you will have longer boat rides to the best dive sites or you could look into a liveaboard vacation to eat, sleep, and dive for a week. Prices are similar to Grand Cayman and Grace Bay Beach is just as beautiful as Seven Mile Beach - but not as developed - which is nice, IMO.

You mentioned the Cayman Islands, have you dived Little Cayman yet? It is in a special class by itself, there will be lots of tarpons, groupers, eagles, rays, a few sharks, and gorgeous walls.

I haven't dived Cuba yet but I have heard that there are great options for shark dives!

Last edited:
My hubby and I went to Key Largo this past February, did 4 dives, and my hubby swears he will not go back. I'm still willing to give it another shot. Viz was poor, water was choppy. Having said that, I've seen AMAZING pictures and videos of Key Largo reefs/fish, so I'm sure it's wonderful sometimes, but I guess we were just unlucky. Several days after those dives, we went to Cozumel and then Grand Cayman and it was SO MUCH BETTER. That's just our very limited experience. YMMV.

But if you've already been to Bonaire, Curacao, Grand Cayman and Cozumel multiple times, why not give Key Largo a try and judge for yourself?

I hear Jardines de la Reina in Cuba is really good.

I love the Keys, but there are more spectacular reefs elsewhere in the Caribbean. There is however terrific variety up and down the Keys, and if you travel to some other dive sites within 70 miles of Key Largo you will be amazed before you are halfway through. I especially like the middle keys and Looe Key sanctuary in particular. If you are fit and adventurous, the Keys are the snorkeling capital of the U.S. But I wouldn't suggest you get up everyday and just walk down to the dock, hop on a boat and dive Molasses Reef for 7 days straight. Did I mention world class fishing and drinking? Key lime pie? Fried potheads?

Fried potheads? We have those in Oregon, but you just give them a bag of Doritos and a bus pass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom