Would a prescription mask help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mark260165

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I need some advice, been diving for the past seventeen years and up until recently have never had a problem reading my gauges or computer, however recently I have had a slight difficulty reading my computer.

I bought a new computer (Uemis Zurich SDA) in March and on its first dive noticed that the slightly smaller digits (which are the tank pressure in bar) where blurry.
The computer was mounted mid way up my forearm.

I spoke to my local optician regarding my problem, she explained that when you are aged around mid forties (I am 45) your close range vision does deteriate & glasses in a possitive prescription can help although she didnt know how that would work underwater.

The next time I dived I moved the computer down to my wrist, although not ideal as in a dry suit & is more vulnerable to damage on the wrecks I dive, it worked & could read the digits much better, unfortunately growing longer arms is out so what am I to do???

The strange thing is that I can read a mono computer fine as it has a very high contrast, do you think a prescription mask will be the answer? will it effect my normal underwater sight??

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Regards

Mark

Yes, definitely, it will help. If you don't need a prescription for general purposes but just for reading, you can get lenses that are normal otherwise except for the lower section where your reading prescription will be. Makes for much more enjoyable and safer diving.

Could it be light level?

I have problems with low light for up close viewing. I just shine a light on it. I have my light on all the time during a dive anyway looking in rocks, under ledges, in kelp, etc.

Many thanks for your reply, I am just not sure what to ask for as I do not nor ever have worn glasses.......

I believe from reading opticians web sites a plus prescription would be helpful but how do I find out which one??

you could be tested for the correct power during an eye examination. My suggestion is to have a small "add" disk mounted inside your mask a +.75 diopters should be fine. It is glued to the inside of the mask on the lower corner of the side you keep your gauges. You will peak through the disk to see the numbers it's about the size of a quarter. It should be fairly inexpensive.

Take a look at this, I've been using it for a couple of years and they have solved my gauge-reading problems: XS Scuba Fusion 2 gauge Reader Mask, #MA280

I use drugstore reading glasses, but don't generally need glasses otherwise.

Some people have managed to use stick-on magnifying lenses (usually available at drug stores, although there's a brand sold at a premium targeted at divers) but I had trouble with them coming off in use and gave up. And many more people here seem to report that, compared to the number who say they work for them.

Note that LP offers free shipping on these. If you're interested, call them and see if they'll offer a better price if you pay shipping, sometimes that's a much better deal.

Maybe I'm misreading your question, but did you have your eyes checked or did you just ask your optician for advice?

If the latter, then my advice is to get an eye exam. Assuming you need reading glasses, you can then send a copy of the prescription along with your dive mask to a company that will then outfit your mask with the correct lenses. Although not cheap, prescription dive masks are imho well worth every penny.

I've been using Prescription Dive Masks for years with no complaints.

That is a high TECH dive computer.

After my LASER eye surgery I have been having problems for up close.

I just tried out a few glasses at the warehouse at work until I found one that worked well for most instances.
I use safety glasses at work that have no magnification on top and a R+D2.0 for the reading portion.

Would I use the same magnification underwater?

Thank you for your answers, I asked my local optician if I could pop in for an examination, she said that as my last one was only a few months ago & I diddn't need a prescription she doubted that she could reproduce the dificulty I am having underwater.
When I am out of the water I can read it as clear as day and only gets out of focus once its as close as ten inches out of the water.
I suppose underwater its the magnifiying effect of the refraction.
Would it be a big NO NO to put complete +.75 lenses in a mask????
THANK YOU AGAIN

Mark

Back
Top Bottom