Worthington HP104's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LowDrag

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A friend of mine is moving out of the US to Australia and is not able to take his pair of Worthington's with him. He has offered me a good price on them. He is asking $600 for the pair and I know he paid more than that for them. They are Worthington Nitrox HP 104's with 3500 PSI Pro Valves. What I am wondering is what the general opinion is of owning your own tanks. Is it worth the expense of the tanks versus renting? I am thinking of convenience as well as knowing your own gear. I have rented several tanks in the past month and two of the 6 or 8 tanks has had an air leak around the O-ring at the first stage. I can see an advantage in having my own tanks but I am still wondering what other more experienced divers here on the board think.

Thanks all...

Last edited:
Big heavy tanks, good price if they are in hydro, VIP and have been taken care of. You may find you run out of time before you do air. No sense in carrying around weight you won't be using.

Renting v owning is really dependent on how much diving you actually do. You will now be in charge of maintenance and storage.

The tanks are brand new. He just purchased them about four months ago and they been dived about 6 times IIRC.

They are basically LP versions of HP 130's. If your breathing rate is good you could probably get in two dives per cylinder. I'd say you can't beat the price.

Thanks. I want to get the tanks but being new have my questions about the expense vs need at this point kinda thing.

We rent tanks for $9 the first day and $5 for any consecutive days. So for $600 you will need to dive at least 66 times in order to have paid the tanks off. We charge $18 for hydros every 5 years and $10 for VIP's yearly. O2 cleaning and tumbling when required will be additional costs to consider.

It really doesn't become much of a burden until your dining room looks like a dive shop :D

No doubt on the dining room dive shop part. As for rental prices, my LDS charges anywhere from $10 - $15 depending on his availability of tanks. So far I have not had an issue with getting tanks but I have heard it can be an issue on occasion. Other places that I know of just bumped their prices to $25/tank and some down on the coast are $20/tank. At 2 - 3 dives per day, it seems like that would add up quick but then again you still have to pay for fills which can be about the same price that I am paying for rentals unless I have to go outside my current LDS. What I am trying to do is figure the worth of getting my own tanks. My wife isn't real interested in getting the tanks unless I can show her the value which makes sense to me.

Considering you live near cold water, I think you would really like the steel tanks. Especially if you start diving with a drysuit and want to dive doubles.
If you were somewhere warm, renting AL 80s could be the way to go.
I love my steel HP 80s because of the bouyancy characteristics.

A pro and a con

If all you have access to for rental is aluminum 80s, that would do it for me.

On the other hand, would you have bought this specific size tank if he wasn't offering it?

A friend of mine is moving out of the US to Australia and is not able to take his pair of Worthington's with him. He has offered me a good price on them. He is asking $600 for the pair and I know he paid more than that for them. They are Worthington Nitrox HP 104's with 3500 PSI Pro Valves. What I am wondering is what the general opinion is of owning your own tanks. Is it worth the expense of the tanks versus renting? I am thinking of convenience as well as knowing your own gear. I have rented several tanks in the past month and two of the 6 or 8 tanks has had an air leak around the O-ring at the first stage. I can see an advantage in having my own tanks but I am still wondering what other more experienced divers here on the board think.

Thanks all...

Hm I have never heard about Worthington HP104 , There are HP 119 , HP100, HP130, LP108.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom