Worst of Cozumel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a different culture, and the reason the hawkers exist is that we Americans bring a lot of money to the island and throw it around. I try not to be too hard on those guys.

I missed the hawkers on Santorini where American's bring a lot of money to the island and throw it around. I missed the hawkers on Bora Bora, St John's, St Martin, St Barts, Nevis, Islamorada, I guess I could name 20 more if I had to...

I do totally agree with one thing you said - "it's the culture". It's definitely the culture. Doesn't make it good or bad, it just is what it is and it's okay to admit it and talk about it.

My hats off to the mods, this is one of the most frank and realistic threads I can remember ever reading in the Cozumel forum. Thank you for your patience. You guys don't get enough credit for your hard work and dedication.

I always stay at cheap hotels downtown, and a simple "No, gracias" gets me by any vendor, no hassle. Or I just keep walking, no worries. Better yet, get back a few blocks off of Melgar and get to experience Cozumelenos, they are very nice people. I shudder at the thought of the southern AI's, but to each their own.... Enjoy your trip.
Thanks for the honesty folks but I see even the seasoned pros get it consistently... I guess it is back to the south AI this November where the only hassle might be how many "a la cartes" we fancy.

This is a very often raised point, but frankly, I don't see what the big deal is. I either avoid eye contact or smile and say "no, gracias" and continue on my way. It just doesn't bother me. YMMV.

Completely agree. It just isn't that tough.

It's a different culture, and the reason the hawkers exist is that we Americans bring a lot of money to the island and throw it around. I try not to be too hard on those guys.

The hawkers used to annoy my kids -- a lot, but after I told them, (in a pretty emphatic way), that all they were trying to do was feed their kids and keep a roof over their heads, they got off their high horse. Now, when the hawkers get a "no gracias," from the 4 of us in unison, there's no further conversation.

I concur, Mike said:
My hats off to the mods, this is one of the most frank and realistic threads I can remember ever reading in the Cozumel forum. Thank you for your patience. You guys don't get enough credit for your hard work and dedication

Almost unprecedented...... Thanks again to the Mods.... Well said Mike.

I missed the hawkers on Santorini where American's bring a lot of money to the island and throw it around. I missed the hawkers on Bora Bora, St John's, St Martin, St Barts, Nevis, Islamorada, I guess I could name 20 more if I had to...
Could you really?

I could do without the hawking and frankly would probably do more shopping if it wasn't there. I also could do without the taxi rate and ATM scams. However, once you figure out how to deal with the problems, there is really nothing to worry about . And, really, where in the world don't we have problems to deal with?? Go to Cozumel, enjoy , and have a great time !!

We have wanted to try staying in town but we always stay at the "all inclusives" south... as our biggest peeve is when we venture into town... the constant sales pitch from every business going really makes walking around frustrating. We have even tried removing our resort bracelets. Does it get any better as the business owners get to reconize you or is it a constant battle you just suck up?

I always stay in town and mostly just ignore hawkers. Ignoring them works very well. Once in a while I find it particularly overwhelming, so I make a sarcastic joke to one or two. Hawkers present a good opportunity to practice defending your personal boundaries. I find that they back right off if it is clear that you will not be separated from your $ and they are respectful, by and large, just doing their job. I love staying in town, not a fan of resorts.

I love Cozumel food in the evenings, that's the only time we eat out there. I never tried guacumole just because of what it looked like, now I make it at home. Some of the meals I enjoy more that the diving, and you can't beat the price. The hawkers we just ignore like a barking dog in a fenced yard.

I have to agree, the vendors (the aggressive ones) do become tiring... but considering they're not on hotel grounds or cruising the beaches, it could be worse.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wish there was better shopping. I'm NOT a shopper, but when I go down I'd be happy to spend my holiday money on gifts, but there's not much quality. I've found a few shops for dishware, and there are a couple of honest jewelry places, but most of it's junk. I love how you can walk by some of the storage places and see them stuffed with boxes from China, all filled with the same 'handmade' Mexican trinkets.

My biggest pet peeve is how much it cost to get there ,but that has nothing to do with Coz LOL

Sometimes the hawkers can lead you to something worthwhile. A few years back we encountered a guy outside of la mission. I told him I would come in and look later, after lunch, to get rid of him. An hour later, he remembered my promise and I went in. Behind the crappy trinkets, an artist named Carlos makes batik shirts and other clothing. His theme is dia de los muertos and the art of Jose Posada. All handmade, one of a kind pieces. I bought a few of his shirts and commisioned a diver in the style of Posadas. We designed the piece together and he made it in a couple of days. He now features the diver on some of his items from time to time. I got lucky this time, as I usually just walk past and say not today.

I just realized which thread this is in. Please ignore this positive information. Mods- do what you must.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom