Worst dive trip ever!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steve, it's an online gaming phrase. you might also see it 'pwned' or 'pwnd'. same as 'game, set, match'.

charles, good one, bro! y'all set a date yet?

Actually, most boats use the grapple wreck hook (not a Danforth) because it doesn't catch in sand. That way, when it hooks up, you know you have the structure. I just bought one from Captain Tom who makes a great hook with Stainless Steel.

Ken thanks for catching my error in my cough medicine compromised post.

The danforths are the ones littering the bottom, that have been left by the private fishing boats.

The danforths are the ones littering the bottom, that have been left by the private fishing boats.

Yea, I have a pile of those salvaged danforth anchors in my garage. I carry a Danforth onboard if I need to hang in the sand, but for diving structure, ledge or wreck, you can't beat a good grapnel hook, especially Captain Tom's hooks...they are a work of art.

I was thinking about getting another one and making a lamp out of it. :D

-This was my charter. Dvrstv went out with us on Captain Tom's boat the weekend of the 8th + 9th of November. The weather was not what we would have liked. It was blowing and it was not smooth. According to the buoys it got up to four feet. Half way out Tom stopped the boat, explained that it was not going to get any smoother and asked us if we still wanted to go. I asked all five of my other divers including dvrstv. We all agreed that we wanted to go out.
-The anchor did come loose on the first site, but not until the last diver was on his way down. We did half a dive following the anchor. My wife found a six inch tooth on that dive. One of our divers liked the site too much and did not come up when he should have. He ended up doing a free ascent and coming up away from the boat. He will be very upset to hear that he was screaming. I think he remembers yelling once for the boat and then inflating his surface marker and waiting for the boat to come get him. The response from the crew to a diver surfacing away from the boat was exactly what you would want. The diver was very appreciative of the speed with which he was retrieved.
- The five of us who chose to dive on the second site had a good dive. For the record there was not any noticeable current on any of the dives that weekend.
- I was ill and did not dive on Sunday, but it was not because of the boat or crew. It should be noted that my wife went out with them on Sunday. Anyone who knows me will appreciate the fact that if there was any question about the safety of boat or crew my wife would not be out there without me. If there were any question about the safety of the trip she would not be out there with me.
- Everyone on the boat had been briefed ahead of time by me. Everyone on the boat knew before they signed up for the trip that there was no head on the boat. Everyone on the boat knew the length of the ride and specifically the conditions on the boat and what to expect from the dives.
- Anyone who knows me probably also knows my wife. She did all four dives that weekend. She found some amazing shark teeth. She can not stop talking about what a good dive trip it was and how much fun she had. She did not have trouble with the conditions in the water or out.

- My name is Michael Broomhall.
- I own Sea Dive in Solomons, MD.
- I intend to charter Tom's boat again this year.
- I have only good things to say about his operation.
- There is no better place to get the teeth. (quantity or size)
- Spearit charters is a good operation.

-This is my first time posting on this web forum. It seemed important to make sure that Sea Dive's opinions of this trip were included in this discussion and that it was made clear that the other five divers were very satisfied with the trip.

Michale,
Thanks for confirming what those of us have dove with Spearit know, Tom runs a top notch 6-pack. Glad to hear the other 5 of you had a good trip. Should you guys need a 6th person to fill out your next charter, there are plenty of qualified divers here in NC who are always happy to get out on Tom's boat when there is a spot. :D

Welcome to the board.

It is always good when level headed persons from the operations step up and post here. . . Thanks guys!

Good outfitter reports, both of them. Very quick turnaround, too.

For readers who believe that outfitters should be *above* responding to diver complaints on this board... you should spend more time reading scubaboard posts to see what happens to the outfit's reputation when the outfitter chooses not to respond. Typically it tanks, not to put too fine a point on it.

It might not be *right* or *fair* to the outfitter, but it's the way it works. The SB moderators do a fantastic job contacting outfitters directly in these situations, to make sure they're informed about this forum and what's posted on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom